NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tripod leg clamp repair

banjaxed

One of the clamps on my EQ3-2 tripod broke so I tried to fix it with epoxy resin which lasted for a few weeks. I then tried a hose clip but this meant clamping it around the legs which was not very convenient. The next step was to place the clip around the original clamp then drill a hole in the clip to accommodate the tightening screw. It is now much stronger than the original. Btw the clip size you need is about 70 mm. If anyone needs more info just let me know.

Maurice.

84DDB83A-06CD-498D-8930-9CFCD45AC92A.jpeg

AE136EDA-EB3D-4FE8-A51D-80F429ABABBA.jpeg

B3180D45-B2B6-49B3-B5DE-A256B7D5AFFC.jpeg

99C0E549-ADA0-4F27-A561-D1EEB3FEA888.jpeg

• Like 2

Have you tried the aluminium brazing rods form 'Chronos' ??

Really easy to use and good professional result.

I have repaired gearbox casings with these before now and they are still going strong.

Remove it from the leg before you start with the blowtorch! 😉 

Edited by Skipper Billy
  • Like 1

I hate to say it, but if you have a 3D printer, you could probably remodel the part in Tinkercad, or one of the other 3D drawing packages, and print a replacement......

I have a couple of the same tripods, and was thinking of doing it, plus a new 'compressor' part for higher up, but I've other things on the go at the mo. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I hate to say it, but if you have a 3D printer, you could probably remodel the part in Tinkercad, or one of the other 3D drawing packages, and print a replacement......

I have a couple of the same tripods, and was thinking of doing it, plus a new 'compressor' part for higher up, but I've other things on the go at the mo. 

I don’t have a 3D printer and the clip cost less than £2 and it is so much stronger I am thinking of doing the other two.

those are prone to break if over-tightened, worth fitting a couple packing washers under the thumb-wheel so they can only be tightened enough to hold and that should prevent the good ones from breaking too :) 

46 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

those are prone to break if over-tightened, worth fitting a couple packing washers under the thumb-wheel so they can only be tightened enough to hold and that should prevent the good ones from breaking too :) 

Good idea Dave, the clamp had been repaired when I got the tripod so my solution seemed a good method. The other 2 clamps look fine and I  know they don’t need to be too tight but your idea would be added insurance.

Maurice.