NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nexstar 8SE Accessories

Hi Everyone,

Ill be receiving my 8SE later this week and very excited about it!!

Im looking at getting the wifi (SkyPortal) and the Auto Align Starsense to go with it. 

Is there any advantage of getting the GPS Module as well as the above 2? Or even instead of one of them? And also, is there another ports to run them all?

Jon

1 minute ago, Beardy30 said:

Great stuff where did you get it from not many in stock at the moment 

its pre owned. but only been used for 20mins over the last year. Its a year old. With plenty of lenses and bits and bobs.

im self isolating in the middle of nowhere and the night sky is unreal. I just need to get closer! haha 

44 minutes ago, stinky said:

Hi Everyone,

Im looking at getting the wifi (SkyPortal) and the Auto Align Starsense to go with it. 

Is there any advantage of getting the GPS Module as well as the above 2? Or even instead of one of them? And also, is there another ports to run them all?

Jon

I remember that some years ago, Celestron sold an AUX port adapter to make 2 ports available instead of just the one.

TBH I'd not bother with GPS if you are going to be using a mobile phone/table or laptop device to control over WiFi as they will identify your location and can update the SE hand controller.

1 hour ago, iapa said:

I remember that some years ago, Celestron sold an AUX port adapter to make 2 ports available instead of just the one.

TBH I'd not bother with GPS if you are going to be using a mobile phone/table or laptop device to control over WiFi as they will identify your location and can update the SE hand controller.

Thanks. Ill not bother with it for now. It should all arrive on Friday and ill give it a spin!

Hoping for some lovely clear nights next week!

9 hours ago, stinky said:

Hi Everyone,

Jon

Jon if you are using SkyPortal WiFi Module, and StarSense you will need the Aux Splitter.

Which can be brought from FLO here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/celestron-aux-port-splitter.html

Back to original questions.....

If using a SkyPortal external WiFi accessory you do NOT need SkySync GPS.

The scope will use the location services of your Phone, Tablet or PC, whether you use the SkyPortal APP or CPWI, provided it is connected to the Internet or 4G.

You will need a AUX splitter albeit the Starsense HC replaces Nexstar + HC in its port and the Starsense Camera connects to the SE's AUX port. EDIT. Sorry, forgot about SkyPortal dongle. Yes you will need an AUX splitter. See next paragraph.....

Caution.....

Do not connect  SSA camera (or SkyPortal) to the Guider port (despite it having a camera picture!). 

Do not unscrew SSA camera lens. It does not come apart like a DSLR. If you do It will need factory recalibration.

If necessary, change your location via Menu/Time and Location. You won't be asked this during your first alignment.

Check that the HC and scope has the latest firmware. Celestron issued a bug fix this month to fix an issue with Starsense, Third generation WiFi and certain mounts. Updating firmware is easy, but I doubt if the previous owner will have done so.

Follow instructions carefully. It's a great scope and Starsense is easy, but most new owners run into a bundle of trouble because they don't properly study the instruction manuals.

Lastly, in your excitement, don't rush out to buy loads of accessories (like GPS). Learn how to use what you have. It's easy to buy stuff that you don't need or expensive junk.

Edited by noah4x4
  • Like 1

On 16/04/2020 at 21:59, noah4x4 said:

Back to original questions.....

If using a SkyPortal external WiFi accessory you do NOT need SkySync GPS.

The scope will use the location services of your Phone, Tablet or PC, whether you use the SkyPortal APP or CPWI, provided it is connected to the Internet or 4G.

You will need a AUX splitter albeit the Starsense HC replaces Nexstar + HC in its port and the Starsense Camera connects to the SE's AUX port. EDIT. Sorry, forgot about SkyPortal dongle. Yes you will need an AUX splitter. See next paragraph.....

Caution.....

Do not connect  SSA camera (or SkyPortal) to the Guider port (despite it having a camera picture!). 

Do not unscrew SSA camera lens. It does not come apart like a DSLR. If you do It will need factory recalibration.

If necessary, change your location via Menu/Time and Location. You won't be asked this during your first alignment.

Check that the HC and scope has the latest firmware. Celestron issued a bug fix this month to fix an issue with Starsense, Third generation WiFi and certain mounts. Updating firmware is easy, but I doubt if the previous owner will have done so.

Follow instructions carefully. It's a great scope and Starsense is easy, but most new owners run into a bundle of trouble because they don't properly study the instruction manuals.

Lastly, in your excitement, don't rush out to buy loads of accessories (like GPS). Learn how to use what you have. It's easy to buy stuff that you don't need or expensive junk.

Thanks for this! Very helpful

i have ended up with loads of bits but loving it. Loving just look at big open spaces that seem black to my eye by through the scope it’s full of stars! 

trying to catch a nebula sometime to see the shades of grey but not managed it yet. 

On 16/04/2020 at 21:59, noah4x4 said:

Caution.....

+2 for that advice.

Here is a link to a thread where refocusing the Starsense is discussed: 

12 hours ago, iapa said:

+2 for that advice.

Here is a link to a thread where refocusing the Starsense is discussed: 

I don’t think I unscrewed it.... when you say unscrew do you mean totally remove? Or even a slight rotation 

In my case, a flash of total genius, I completely removed it.

If you have adjusted it you would know as you need to take the barrel off first to get to the lens - a very deliberate act.

If you're out early enough and have a clear horizon to the West you might just be able to catch the Orion Nebula (currently just setting as it gets dark in the Northern hemisphere).

I hope the bits and bobs include a dew shield and possibly dew heater and tapes too, it'll probably be fine when the weather is dry at this time of year but come the winter the 8SE is a dew magnet. 

On 15/04/2020 at 13:39, Beardy30 said:

Be interested to know if you managed to get a case or bag for the tube anywhere ?? 

I use a Curver plastic crate for my 8SE OTA, I use the original foam packing which fits perfectly, room for a few small accessories (finders, etc) at one end. 

Edited by jonathan

Awesome choice of a telescope.. I had some of the best views through my 8SE.

The GPS module is helpful if you travel with your scope, it'll speed up your setup time with you not needing to constantly search for the GPS coords... that said, it can take time for the GPS to lock on to the satellites so it all might even out. eitherway, not a critical accessory.

The other thing I recommend for you scope is a 2" diagonal and a couple of wide field 2" eyepieces like the 31mm Nagler and 17mm Ethos from televue for deep sky views and a 7mm eyepiece for planetary observation.Filters also are very helpful in observation.... I recommend a 2" Astronomic or Lumicon UHC filter for the 2" eyepieces for your deep-sky views and a neodymium and (not as critical) contrast boost filters for planetary observation. These filters will really reveal some of the finer details... especially during the most transparent sky nights.

The above mentioned accessories are what I use 90% of the time for my observation.

Re GPS module, I just use whichever mobile device I happen to have to hand.

These days they all have location data somewhere, e.g. the compass app in iOS.

Google maps etc. etc. etc.