Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Improving my Dob base

Morning all. Nothing like a bit of quarantine to get you back in to astronomy. It's been a little while since I had the scope out in earnest and I have noticed that the nudging on my Dob has had to become a little more forceful.

What I am looking for is to get my dob 'gliding' and a smoother action. Can anyone share some good links or tips to help me improve my Dob base?

Many thanks and stay safe all!

5 minutes ago, Callisto75 said:

Hi Merlin, thanks for the reply. It's the rotating left and right which is a little jolty right now. Up and down generally ok. Its the standard Skywatcher base for the 10" Dob. 

Perhaps you need to loosen the bolt holding it together?🤔

2 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

Most people including myself fit a lazy Susan bearing which makes things much smoother.

Don't most of the Skywatchers come fitted with one, anyway? Mine did, I believe.

I know you'll discard this option but.......

883870040_2020-04-0410_04_47.thumb.jpg.246bc8b35c95ceefc3fe161fd5f11126.jpgIf its 10" or under I'd stick a dovetail on it and mount it on one of these. With its slow motion controls or an RA drive there'd be no need to struggle manipulating the Dob.

19 minutes ago, Callisto75 said:

Thanks all. I will have a look at the lazy susan option. Mine certainly didn't come with one and I prefer a more permanent solution to adding a bit of olive oil between the sheets.....

Could you take some photographs of the base, please? Doesn't your's have Teflon pads on it?  I'm trying to get the tension in the base on mine just right. It's either a bit too tight or too slack.

The £££££ way to sort it.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1646_Azimut-Roller-Bearing-for-Dobsonian-Teleskopes-D---320mm.html

If going with the lazy susan option you will need to provide a little bit of friction with foam or velcro pad etc. to stop it spiniing too freely.

Here’s one I did years ago and used chair glide pads to add a bit of friction but the foam / velcro way is easier. 

9F7B9FDA-B7EA-4467-88C6-C078143115CA.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

1 hour ago, merlin100 said:

Could you take some photographs of the base, please? Doesn't your's have Teflon pads on it?  I'm trying to get the tension in the base on mine just right. It's either a bit too tight or too slack.

Yes mine has the Teflon pads as well. It’s functional but just feel it can be improved on. Especially as I tend to nudge using the knob on the tube more than the handles. I’ve also slightly adjusted the bolt tension now, see if that helps as well. Really appreciate the comments and links all, many thanks.