NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Trying to choose a new camera

JamesF

It would be nice to have a new camera for DSO imaging with a larger field of view, but I'm really struggling with the choices these days and would appreciate the thoughts of others.  I have a 314L+ at the moment and I intend to keep that, but I have three imaging rigs on which I use OTAs including a Photoline72, 80ED, MN190 and C9.25 and I'd like something that would give me the option of covering more sky, and setpoint cooling.

CMOS does seem to be the way things are going these days, but many of the options are OSC only and I really want mono.  Also, very few of the CMOS cameras appear to come without issues that don't really please me when I'm shelling out large wads of cash.  The amp glow in some, micro lens artefacts in others and so on leave me unhappy about paying so much for something that actually isn't as good as it should be even if they can be resolved in processing to a certain extent, partly because whatever I get will probably be kept for a long time and used in ways I can't predict right now (I bought my 314L+ from FLO eight years ago, for example).

On the other hand, CCDs look like they're on the way out.  Something based on the Kodak 8300 has a lot of appeal and if I'd had the observatory three or four years ago I may well have bought one, but they're more expensive and what happens if it needs servicing in a few years time (not that I'm assuming it will)?  And given UK skies, are the shorter integration times that might be possible with CMOS cameras a better bet?

It's a circle I'm struggling to square.

James

• Like 1

I was using a 16hr( same 825 sensor) to a atik 460, I mulled over cmos but certain issues surrounding them that made me stick to ccd

I wouldn't say the 8300 sensor is on the way out, yes it's no longer going to be made but it's a classic, partially excels in long exposures if that's what you do

I'm more than extactic with my 460, it's a awesome camera, mainly used with my esprit 80 but I'm planning to use it with my sct on galaxies... I can bin to get better sampling if required 

For me atik are superb,  well made, great support if needed..

On 27/03/2020 at 14:39, newbie alert said:

I was using a 16hr( same 825 sensor) to a atik 460, I mulled over cmos but certain issues surrounding them that made me stick to ccd

I wouldn't say the 8300 sensor is on the way out, yes it's no longer going to be made but it's a classic, partially excels in long exposures if that's what you do

I'm more than extactic with my 460, it's a awesome camera, mainly used with my esprit 80 but I'm planning to use it with my sct on galaxies... I can bin to get better sampling if required 

For me atik are superb,  well made, great support if needed..

Got to disagree, the 8300 is on its way out simply on the basis that they have stopped making it.

Having said that though I think that if you have 800 pounds to spend then a used 8300 is certainly a good idea though. ATIK said that they have spairs to cover maintenance etc in stock but that they will soon stop selling the 383l+ cameras in the near future. 

Edited by Adam J

33 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Having said that though I think that if you have 800 pounds to spend then a used 8300 is certainly a good idea though. ATIK said that they have spairs to cover maintenance etc in stock but that they will soon stop selling the 383l+ cameras in the near future. 

Perhaps once the world (or at least our part of it) has calmed down a bit I'll have a look for a used 8300-based camera and see how I get on with it.  Should I decide it's not for me I should be able to sell it on with little loss.

James

18 hours ago, JamesF said:

Perhaps once the world (or at least our part of it) has calmed down a bit I'll have a look for a used 8300-based camera and see how I get on with it.  Should I decide it's not for me I should be able to sell it on with little loss.

James

James

Be very careful. I purchased a used 383L. I paid the going rate and at the time did not think to ask how old it was. It turned out it was eight years and one of the early versions. Apparently the front glass on the early CCD chips was prone to cracking if the cooling was removed to quickly. This happened to me. Why it had not happened in the previous eight years I don't know. It was around £400 to replace the chip but Atik advised against it as a they held very few or no spares for that version of the camera. Newer versions have updated parts apparently. The camera went back to Atik three times. Service when I got it, fan stopped working, then I noticed it did not have the correct cameras firmware!!. I still have the camera, it works perfectly but has a crack on the corner of the ccd. I replaced it with a ASI1600MM which works very well. Next camera will be a ASI2600c or QHY268c.

Whatever you go for be careful and good luck

Graham

On 31/03/2020 at 18:08, JamesF said:

James

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=159741

£750

Yes, I had noticed that one.  Now readvertised at £800, but right this minute I'm not in a position to buy and I'm not sure it's a sensible course of action right now, though I do have a nice large bottle of isopropanol that I could wipe it down with.

James