NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Viewing Ursa Major Galaxies

Last night was the best for transparency over the last few days. Spring is usually the best time to view the DSOs in Ursa Major so I compiled a list of galaxies, some of which I had not seen before.

The 12" Dob has been outside for days so I was ready to start at 8.30pm. The Altair 80mm finderscope attached and the Interstellarum atlas on a music stand.

I started by viewing C/2017 T2 (Panstarrs) and C/2019 Y4 (Atlas) the latter now brighter than T2. 

Although I have seen M81 and M82 many times I often overlook their companion NGC 3077 so it was good to start my DSOs collection at this point. Throughout the evening session I really only used two EPs - 20mm Myriad and 13mm Ethos and whereas I made a list of previous unseen objects whilst star hopping I came across many other DSOs.

This is the list from last night - NGC 3198, 3938, 2681, 4605, 2985, 3998, 2787, 3718, 3729, 2841, 3738, 3953, 3982, 3990 and M109. 

I must give a mention to a lovely galaxy which I had not seen before which I think was my highlight. NGC 3079 (Phantom Frisbee) which is no.38 in Steve O'Meara's - 'The Secret Deep' book. This is a spectacular edge on galaxy which I recommend viewing.

So a great observing night or should I say week.

• Like 14

Great stuff again Mark :thumbright:

I had good fun one night a couple of years back just seeing how many of the galaxies shown in the "bowl" of Ursa Major in the S&T Pocket Sky atlas I could pick up with my 12 inch dob - there are quite a lot !

I think these 100 degree eyepieces are really nice for this task - you can get by with just a couple of focal lengths for a whole session of galaxy hunting !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John said:

I think these 100 degree eyepieces are really nice for this task - you can get by with just a couple of focal lengths for a whole session of galaxy hunting !

John I used the 20mm mostly with the 13mm Ethos giving a closer look. 

• Like 1

Ursa Major is in a bit of an awkward position for me currently. I am almost directly underneath it. Trying to adjust the dob pointing towards the zenith is doing my back in 🙂 

I managed M81 & 82 a couple of nights ago but failed to locate them last nigh. I also tried M101 but had no joy with this either. I ended up packing up after this as I wasn't in the best mindset. I will certainly be up to attempt these again tonight thoug.

Baz

Just now, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Ursa Major is in a bit of an awkward position for me currently. I am almost directly underneath it. Trying to adjust the dob pointing towards the zenith is doing my back in 🙂 

That's where the term "the dob hole" comes from.

It's a term that can also be applied to your bank balance if you get a bad case of aperture fever and go for something much bigger !

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, John said:

That's where the term "the dob hole" comes from.

It's a term that can also be applied to your bank balance if you get a bad case of aperture fever and go for something much bigger !

Thanks for the info John. Looks like this is a known issue for us dob users 🙂  It wont put me off wanting a 12" OO dob next though 🙂 

Hope you are keeping well in these unusual times 🙂

Baz

• Thanks 1