Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC4725 a one armed spiral in Coma Bernices

Laurin Dave

NGC 4725 is an intermediate barred spiral galaxy in the constellation Coma Berenices with a prominent ring structure and seemingly only one arm….  It is over 100 thousand light-years across and lies 41 million light-years away.  It is a Seyfert Galaxy, suggesting an active galactic nucleus containing a supermassive black hole.  I saw this in Ruben Kier's 100 Best Astrophotography Targets.  Started on Monday night and finished last night,  12hrs Lum through Espri150/SX46 and 4 hours each RGB through piggybacked Esprit100/ASI1600.  Processed in APP, Pixinsight and Photoshop.  I've included close up and wide field views.

Thanks for looking

Dave

NGC4725_L_RGB_closeup.thumb.jpg.12b5dc0d077116118934b85cfcf4b653.jpg

NGC4725_L_RGB_Widefield_resample.thumb.jpg.dfae9ae62ed77216b13637be516fbca0.jpg

• Like 24

Excellent images, Dave. I really like the wider image, putting NGC 4725 into some very galactic context. Did you try for Ha with this? This is my next target and my initial experiments with it last night (one sub in each of LRGB & Ha) didn't show much in the main galaxy area, but there appeared to be some blobs further out into the depths of the spiral arm(s). Also, thank you for posting as I hadn't spotted the little neighbouring galaxy above NGC 4725 and will now tweak my framing to bring that into view!

Clear skies and stay safe. Gav.

Thanks Gav..     I didn't do any Ha as none of the amateur images of it I looked at showed any ..  It's lovely , I got a few hours on it Monday night and just had to go back for more.   I'm just loving these clear skies... two more forecast here which will mean 6 in a row .. plus last Friday. Presume its much the same down your way.

As you say stay safe..  

Dave

• Like 1

Excellent image Dave!

I did image the same group with my Esprit 150 a year ago, and seeing your image make me think that I may have been a bit too promiscuous with the colours (https://www.astrobin.com/394768/K/). Similar level of resolution but then we have the same magificient scope.

Glad to hear that you have a spell of clear skies - we need something positive these days! I will hopefully get 2-3 clear nights from Friday.

19 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Thanks Gav..     I didn't do any Ha as none of the amateur images of it I looked at showed any ..  It's lovely , I got a few hours on it Monday night and just had to go back for more.   I'm just loving these clear skies... two more forecast here which will mean 6 in a row .. plus last Friday. Presume its much the same down your way.

As you say stay safe..  

Dave

It's been great. My colleague and I did the Messier Marathon on Sunday night up at the College Observatory - we managed 96 / 110 objects. My observatory has been whirring away gathering data on NGC 2903 and I'm just starting to turn it towards NGC 4725 now. I've been live streaming solar views from the observatory by day to the GCSE Astronomy pupils (and their parents!) by Zoom during their lessons. I could get very used to day after day of Sun and night after night of clear, Moon free skies!!

22 minutes ago, gorann said:

Excellent image Dave!

I did image the same group with my Esprit 150 a year ago, and seeing your image make me think that I may have been a bit too promiscuous with the colours (https://www.astrobin.com/394768/K/). Similar level of resolution but then we have the same magificient scope.

Glad to hear that you have a spell of clear skies - we need something positive these days! I will hopefully get 2-3 clear nights from Friday.

Thank you Goran..  and yes I love my Esprits..

Dave

14 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

It's been great. My colleague and I did the Messier Marathon on Sunday night up at the College Observatory - we managed 96 / 110 objects. My observatory has been whirring away gathering data on NGC 2903 and I'm just starting to turn it towards NGC 4725 now. I've been live streaming solar views from the observatory by day to the GCSE Astronomy pupils (and their parents!) by Zoom during their lessons. I could get very used to day after day of Sun and night after night of clear, Moon free skies!!

Sounds excellent Gav..  we're doing our Astro Society meeting on Zoom tonight..   and ps... the dome sync now behaves perfectly!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

The depth projection is so awesome ! Does the scope have that kind of view ? 

Thanks, I guess the galaxy is distorted giving it a 3-D look.. like an unwinding Danish Pastry :)..  the wide field is about 80% crop of full frame..  1000 mm focal length and APS-H  chip 

• Like 1