NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What ISO do people use?

I have much light pollution but think that as I know guide I should be able to achieve 5 - 10 minute subs but I am sure that the image will just be orange.

How do I get round this.

I use a DSLR 400d.

Depending on what you are imaging star clusters normally work out better with lower ISO around 400 I normally do 800 or 1600 the only way to see how long you can image for is too look at the in camera Histogram and it should be around 40-45% but thats what works best for me I have light polluted skys and I use the Hutech Idas lp filter so can get around 4 minutes I use to go above the 50% range and my images keep more detail at the 40% range on the histogram

Hope this helps

Les

I've started to settle on ISO 800, I used to use iso 1600 when taking shorter exposures as it was hard to get anything sensible at the time. once I'd got the Heq5 pro and the guiding sub lengths went up so started to use iso800 @ 3mins but with the hutech idas lps filter I'm up to 5-6minutes at iso 800. Not having imaged many targets in total and only a couple of globs I'm just starting to drop down into iso400 territory for the globs as they blow out a lot quicker than galaxies/nebula for obvious reasons.

Archived