Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Luna Cognita

jambouk

Robert Garfinkle's long awaited book on the Moon has now been published. It consists of three volumes, each hardback and collectively they weigh about 5kg - it is a significant tome. It looks like it is a print on demand book, and my copies took about 18 days to arrive from ordering. I ordered through the Springer website, and the collective cost for all three, with the P&P from Germany was under £42. I honestly have no idea if this was a mistake or what, but it is ridiculously cheap. Even if the collective cost was £200 it would be worth it. 

The book looks amazing both from the outside and inside. Given the cost, I was dubious what was going to turn up, but this really is a significant work covering most things about the Moon from its role in art and history, to geology, observing, imaging, use of filters etc. A good proportion (a third) is devoted to the observable lunar surface features, with countless photographs, sketches and snippets of historical interest/importance. Volume three carries data, some more historical chapters, multiple maps from previous authors (with commentary and labels), a glossary and a very extensive bibliography.

The format inside the book and the print quality is also amazing. Again I would be impressed if this has cost £200, but given it cost less than a quarter of this, I still can't believe they have got the pricing correct. 

I have no conflicts of interest as I don't know the author and have no connections with Springer, but if you are interested in the Moon, and fancy an all encompassing companion on the Moon, I would strongly recommend getting this. You can only buy the three volumes together.

https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9781493916634

James

IMG_3467.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Thanks for the review, you have set a lot of us spending.
Just ordered direct from Springer.
Theres goes some of the mount fund!

Received mine last week, brilliant quality, you will not be disappointed Alan

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Haha same! I couldn't resist after reading your review. Over last week with beautiful clear nights I've been turning my refractor on the Moon a lot. Since I don't have my imaging gear here in lockdown, its visual only. Its been great! Now I'm looking forward to reading more about the Moon :)

• Like 1