NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Winter Albireos!

It's a perfect time to see some beautiful double stars! In the winter sky, you can see the blue/gold pairs 145G in Canis Major, Iota Cancri in Cancer and Almach in Andromeda. Almach can be seen in the early evening sky but it's progressively getting lost in evening twilight. The famous Albireo in Cygnus can be seen best during the summer. 145G is sometimes called the "Winter Albireo". Here is a composite I created a few years ago of these blue/gold multiples:

516988308_ASTRONOMY-ALBIREO145GALMACHIOTACANCRICOMPOSITESM.thumb.jpg.40d469e322fb7e265cb4869b573b2035.jpg

Clear skies!

Reggie :) 

Edited by orion25
  • Like 11

23 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Another good "Winter Alberio" 

H3945

RA. 07h 16m.6  DEC  - 23° 19

(SAO  1733 53)

Hass says bright citrus orange and a royal blue lovely double

H3945 is another name for 145G but thanks! ;) 

Edited by orion25

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lovely pics of Albireo Reggie, I love viewing through my scope.

Opps, slitly newer thread this time. 😳

Edited by Mick H
  • Like 1

Excellent images here! I am a fan of double stars and especially like the colour contrasting ones. Another of my favourites is Alpha Herculis or Rasalgethi in Hercules. It is more of a late winter/spring target, but it's a nice pair. 

Another one in Cygnus is Omicron Cygni, these 2 stars (Omicron1 & HD 192579) are just close in the FOV, but make for a nice blue/yellow visual pairing.

One that is circumpolar from my location is Delta Cephei, thats a nice visual pairing. It's a nice yellow and blueish/white pair

And another favourite winter/spring pair is Tau Leonis, which is not as bright as the rest, but still a nice pair.

You may be aware of these already, but hopefully they will be new to some and give them other nice targets

• Like 1

On 07/05/2020 at 06:51, MylesGibson said:

Excellent images here! I am a fan of double stars and especially like the colour contrasting ones. Another of my favourites is Alpha Herculis or Rasalgethi in Hercules. It is more of a late winter/spring target, but it's a nice pair. 

Another one in Cygnus is Omicron Cygni, these 2 stars (Omicron1 & HD 192579) are just close in the FOV, but make for a nice blue/yellow visual pairing.

One that is circumpolar from my location is Delta Cephei, thats a nice visual pairing. It's a nice yellow and blueish/white pair

And another favourite winter/spring pair is Tau Leonis, which is not as bright as the rest, but still a nice pair.

You may be aware of these already, but hopefully they will be new to some and give them other nice targets

Thanks, Myles. Delta Cephei is a nice one. I have to take a look at the others!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Thanks, Myles. Delta Cephei is a nice one. I have to take a look at the others!

Ahh, glad I was able to give you something new to look at! I have a list of a few colour contrasting doubles somewhere. I must find it and post it somewhere here for people to aim for!

• Like 1