Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Smartphone constellations

Stu

The skies looked very good last night and I wish I had been able to observe. Unfortunately after a not quite full day complete with hour commute each way, I then had to take MIL back home to Nottingham, and be home for work in the morning so completed a 5.5 hour round trip at about 00.45 this morning!

Orion was an almost constant companion on my journey South, but by the time I got home Leo was dominating the skies. Being tired but wired, I had a quick wind down in the garden looking up, and took a few widefield shots on my phone, placing it on top of a fence post and where needed, putting a stick under one side to angle it correctly to get the shot. Voice activation helped, and I took 10 second exposures at f2.4 and 800 ISO.

The results looked washed out, so I processed them in Snapseed. This is what I got, Leo and The Great Bear.

20200219_005502-01.jpeg

20200219_005306-01.jpeg

• Like 5

On 20/02/2020 at 11:21, Barry-W-Fenner said:

That a couple of good shots Stu. I am amazed that you have managed to get the double Star (Alcor & Mizar) so clearly. I can just make the split out with my naked eye on a very clear night from my location.

They are quite an interesting double through the scope.

Baz

Thanks Baz. Yes, Mizar and Alcor was the first thing I ever looked at through a scope having read about it in a Patrick Moore book. Still have a look at it most times I'm out.

• Like 1