Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Passage of Time

This image shows star trails over the largest of the two Neolithic Grey Cairns of Camster.

It was produced by taking 29 exposures (Canon 760D, 30s, ISO6400, f/3.5, 16mm FL equivalent) in sequence, which were processed using StarStax to produce the star trails, with final image adjustments carried out in Adobe Lightroom 6 . This is a very dark location, so a dimmed LED light panel was located about 30m down the hillside to gently illuminate the stones of the cairn.

I waited many months for the free time and right conditions to capture this image composition. I felt that the short passage of time shown by the star trails, would provide an interesting contrast with the 5000 years that had passed since these chambered cairns were originally built and used by humans. The imaging was timed so that some faint aurora above the horizon provided colourful backlighting to the scene.

PassageOfTime_CamsterCairns_GMackie_24Oct2019.JPG

• Like 22

On 14/02/2020 at 19:53, maw lod qan said:

Wonderful!

On 15/02/2020 at 08:05, Whistlin Bob said:

That's very well done!

Thank you both. Glad you like the end result.

Just in case anyone is wondering why only 29 exposures were taken it was due to clouds interfering. I would normally look to have star trails covering a 20-50 min period (not easy at times in the north of Scotland)

• 4 weeks later...