NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Strange problem

I recently acquired a EQ3-2 mount for my Skymak 127. When it's on my AZ mount it is not a problem but on the EQ mount it does not resemble the illustration in the manual. Firstly when it is set up the focuser knob is at 6 oclock instead of 3 oclock and the finder scope is on the right hand side instead of the left side. Can anyone help me prevent pulling my air out ? I have attached a couple of pics to help explain.

P1000983.JPG

P1000986.JPG

I’m not quite sure what you are asking. The orientation of your scope is dictated by the position of the dovetail. In the case of your 127 it is fixed to the OTA. The only way to change this is to use tube rings. Is the position causing a problem?

1 hour ago, LordLoki said:

Why does it need to look like in the manual? On which side the focuser knob or the finder scope are should have no impact on the function of your scope or your mount. Or am I missing something? 

I should have mentioned that I have a motor focuser which does not fit in the present position. I think tube rings are needed to sort things out. Does anyone know if the dovetail fixing nuts are loose or attached to the tube ?

Just had a thought that it would be easier to move the dovetail to the right position but I am unsure if you can remove the back off a 127 Mak without causing any problems. Has anyone removed the back or is it not recommended ?

15 hours ago, banjaxed said:

I should have mentioned that I have a motor focuser which does not fit in the present position. I think tube rings are needed to sort things out. Does anyone know if the dovetail fixing nuts are loose or attached to the tube ?

Why are you using a motor focuser at all? I do not have one for my 127mm Mak. In my experience, the more solid the mount, the less one thinks about remote focusing devices.

If I look through the meniscus of my Celestron 127mm Mak, at the positions of the dovetail screws I can just see two screw ends, as though they are screwed through a threaded hole in the tube wall. Further enquiry might be wise.

14 hours ago, banjaxed said:

Just had a thought that it would be easier to move the dovetail to the right position but I am unsure if you can remove the back off a 127 Mak without causing any problems. Has anyone removed the back or is it not recommended ?

I wouldn't take it off if it was mine. And I don't think this is necessary (see above).  Note also that you can swivel the diagonal to any angle you like without having to rotate the main tube in rings.  I have put my 127mm Mak (intended for alt-azimuth mount) on an EQ-5 a few times without feeling I was having a particular problem.

If your mak was made for a alt goto then the bar will be on the side.if it was made for the eq version then the bar is on the bottom. 

But as other said it doesnt matter it will still work no matter where the focuser knob is. And as up above says use thumb nail screw and move diagonal if it's not in a good angle 

joejaguar 

Thank you for your comments Geoff. I fitted a motor focuser as the vibration was quite bad and is no problem with the motor fitted. The reason I asked about removing the back of the scope is because the dovetail bar needs to be removed to fit tube rings, so I thought if you need to remove the bar why not reposition it. Hopefully someone has had this problem will be able to help.

2 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

If your mak was made for a alt goto then the bar will be on the side.if it was made for the eq version then the bar is on the bottom. 

But as other said it doesnt matter it will still work no matter where the focuser knob is. And as up above says use thumb nail screw and move diagonal if it's not in a good angle 

joejaguar 

Hi Joe, 

as stated in my last post the motor is in the way with the focus knob at the bottom so it would mean removing the motor which I really don’t want to do.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from your 2nd pic I see your diagonal and focuser are almost touching just a few mm.

Wint it be the same regardless if mounted down or to the side?

The diagonal and focuser will always be that close.

I am wrong or I need my coffee first?

Joejaguar 

2 hours ago, banjaxed said:

Thank you for your comments Geoff. I fitted a motor focuser as the vibration was quite bad and is no problem with the motor fitted. The reason I asked about removing the back of the scope is because the dovetail bar needs to be removed to fit tube rings, so I thought if you need to remove the bar why not reposition it. Hopefully someone has had this problem will be able to help.

The dovetail bar would be attached to the tube rings rather than the tube itself.  I would probably screw some flush fit grub screws into the old screw holes to keep out dust.

Did you try putting Sorbothane pads under each foot of your tripod to dampen vibrations?  Once I did that, I could live with the vibrations from manual focusing on my 127 Mak.

If you fitted the motor focuser because of vibration, you can probably ditch it if you are using the EQ3-2.  I found that the AZ-4 and EQ-5 mounts were like solid scaffolding when compared with the lightweight GoTo mount & tripod that came with my 127mm Mak.  They were orders of magnitude less wobbly.