Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Intes 6” Mak Collimation Screws

I recently acquired an Intes M603 Rumak Mak Cass. I used it a couple of days ago to luckily catch Mercury as a half-disc.

However, it does appear to need collimating, it has an SCT-style collimatable secondary, being a Rumak.

As you can see from the attached pic, there are  three pairs of screw-heads plus a central one.

Before I resort to trial-and-error, does anyone have experience of these and if so, can tell me what screw does what?

@dweller25 perhaps ... I believe you have the M703?

Cheers, Magnus

60F47745-079A-464A-8647-E2DBB1BDB6E3.jpeg

A54BC08E-EF54-4C4F-B7B9-F9537180F747.jpeg

Edited by Captain Magenta

It would appear that those larger screws are for moving the mirror, the tiny ones for locking it in place once collimated and, the third in the middle i would assume is the main screw that anchors the mirror or holds the bracket where the mirror pivots on. I would bet that in order to collimate you'd have to slightly release the three small screws then use the larger ones to move mirror, once collimated, gently tightening the small screws again to keep collimation. Don't hold me to it, its my educated guess based on the way my mak collimates from the primary end.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Thanks 1

@Captain Magenta

I have the Intes Micro 715 which has just three adjustments screws on the secondary, however I suspect the info @Sunshine  offered is good.
I had to take great care with the collimation bolts as they used very soft metal and could be easily damaged - they have all been professionally replaced now with stainless steel.

My 715 also has a collimatable primary - does yours ??

Edited by dweller25
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Thanks.

No primary collimating holes for my 603. I would also assume @Sunshine’s analysis, but I vaguely recall reading that on some Russian scopes the adjusting screws are the tiny ones and the locking ones the big ones, but I can’t find where I read that!

You may find out for sure on this CN Link of a guy who did a complete teardown.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/580999-intes-micro-alter-m603-dissection/

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

You may find out for sure on this CN Link of a guy who did a complete teardown.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/580999-intes-micro-alter-m603-dissection/

Thanks ... I see that @dweller25 also features on that thread ;) !

I will be going down that tear down route before long I think...

48 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

....I vaguely recall reading that on some Russian scopes the adjusting screws are the tiny ones and the locking ones the big ones, but I can’t find where I read that!

I have read just the same and when I had an Intes MN61 mak-newtonian that was the case - it was the small ones that moved the mirrors and the larger ones that locked things.

• Thanks 1

I’ve just completely dis-assembled the rear half of mine now. And I was wrong, there ARE primary-adjustment screws, and indeed, for the primary at least, the big-headed ones are locking screws, the small ones are grub-screws for adjustment.

ive documented and photographed everything as I’ve gone along so I’ll start a separate thread in due course...

M

• Like 2

... actually on reading around, as it's clear I'm going to have to re-collimate the Primary as well as the secondary (seeing as the Primary is currently in a  cupboard in a box on its own!), the six screws at the back (and front) are not strictly "lock and adjust" but "push and pull"...

23 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

One day, i will get myself one of these little Russian gems.

Such a pity they are no longer available.

Well on reassembly I’m going to get this thing fine-tuned to within a micrometer of its life so then I can hopefully reassure you that it is indeed a superb optical instrument!