Lagoon Nebula (M8) SHO reprocess

glowingturnip

Ok, I know it's not the right season at all for the Lagoon, but I fancied a reprocess of this data.  It was my first go at SHO narrowband, and I've got plenty of data, but my experiences processing narrowband since led me to think that I should be able to pull out much more detail than I had before, so here goes:

49506282933_6cf0365479_o.png

16 each of 600s Ha, Sii and Oiii taken over 3 nights in summer 2018, darks flats and bias, equipment as per sig, Pixinsight.

For comparison, here's the first version and the thread on it:

44124706154_fa462beee2_b.jpg

What do people think - improvement ?  Anything more I could be doing with it ?

Hope you enjoy,

Stuart

• Like 15

The image was already very good but the rework benefits form subtle colour and contrast enhancement.  It is an exquisite image Stuart and I don't think you should push it any more since I think you are likely to start encountering side effects.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Both great images, the rework has a little more vitality and a slightly "stormier" feel about it. The original a little more peaceful looking.

I agree, I do seem to lean to the dark and stormy side at the moment - must be typhoon season in the Lagoon 🙂 

I prefer the reworked version.  However, I prefer the stars in the original.

Both versions are lovely, and I haven't seen it presented like this before, so I'd say it doesn't really matter.

Edited by don4l

fair comment re the stars - I usually use a tone-map technique like this for merging my channels which gives the flat white stars as in my original image.  It does give me headaches on the brighter stars around my newt spikes though.

For the reprocess I actually borrowed some star colour from a previous DSLR image of mine - maybe it should be feathered in a bit more 🙂