Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SCT 150 mm or Maksutov 150 mm.

I have recently been considering a telescope to carry out luna and planetary observations. I have narrowed it down to a

Six inch compound telescope. There is the Celestron C6 or the Skywatcher Skymax 150 mm Maksutov. 

Subject may have taken place a few times previously. 

Some say the Mak would be better due to a longer focal length and narrower central obstruction compared to the C6. 

Any advice would be helpful. 

Edited by Guest
Add text.

Well i can say i have had the SW 150 Mak for a couple of years now, it is a real planet/moon wonder scope, the relatively small central obstruction compared to an equal sized SCT will allow for a higher contrast image. When it comes to imaging, i have had great success imaging planets and the moon, even with a bare bones, bottom of the line camera. The reputation of Mak's forplanetary and lunar observation is well respected, they are Niche scopes, though, they do have an inherent narrow FOV. Regardless of their super long focal length and narrow FOV, i have had some great views of brighter deep sky objects, i recall the Orion Nebula beautifully contrasted in the eyepiece on a dark night recently. There are several others here with the same scope,they may join in with more technical info to help you make a decision. Speaking from a first hand POV, i can honestly say that when viewing conditions are good and, the scope has reached ambient temperature, looking at the moon and planets, it does this superbly. My only gripe with my 150 Mak is the cool down time, they take a while, having a very thick objective lens means it dissipated heat slower than a comparable sized SCT but, if you can keep it in a place close to outside temp then you're ahead of the game.

Below are two images i have taken through my 150 Mak with a very inexpensive Celestron Neximage 5 camera.

IMG_4422.JPG

IMG_3721.JPG

Edited by Sunshine
  • Thanks 1

And not to forget one of the newer scopes.The TS Optics 6” Classical Cassegrain. On offer right now as I think they are about to upgrade the focuser so clearing off the current version. Like this as there is no corrector to dew up and cools down faster. Any Crayford or R&P refractor focuser with a 90mm thread on the front will screw on upin place of the original. Primary mirror is fixed as it has a proper focuser.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p10748_TS-Optics-6--f-12-Cassegrain-Teleskop-154-1848-mm-OTA.html

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, johninderby said:

And not to forget one of the newer scopes.The TS Optics 6” Classical Cassegrain. On offer right now as I think they are about to upgrade the focuser so clearing off the current version. Like this as there is no corrector to dew up and cools down faster. Any Crayford or R&P refractor focuser with a 90mm thread on the front will screw on upin place of the original. Primary mirror is fixed as it has a proper focuser.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p10748_TS-Optics-6--f-12-Cassegrain-Teleskop-154-1848-mm-OTA.html

Are the of good quality? 

General build quality is better than either the SCT or Mak. Slightly heavier than the C6 but lighter than the 150 Mak.

As I mentioned in my earlier post the focuser suppilied with the 6” on offer could do with upgrading to the one they supply with the 8”. But given the discount on the 6” you could afford to either fit the better focuser or even go with a Baader Steeltrack refractor focuser.

When I sold my old Skymax 180 and relaced it with the CC 8” the buyer who also owned a Tak Mewlon was impressed by the build quality of the CC when I showed it to him which says a lot.🙂

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Just to add something else into the mix. Below are two comparisons, as I have a C6 & ETX105...

OTA:                      C6 SCT      ETX105

focal length:         1500mm   1470mm

focal ratio:            f/10           f/14

post-4682-0-08081900-1394160327_thumb.jpg

Almost identical focal length, but different focal ratio.

Since u said it's for the moon and planets then get the mak.

If it would for dso or general stuff then sct

Only issue will be cooldown with the mak it  could be an hr to hr and a half.

I'm pretty sure these models dont have an air vent and a fan so it will take a long time.

I had a 7"f15 meade uhtc mak and it had a fan and vent and it still took 1 to 2 hrs for good views but perfect views after 3

Joejaguar