Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Web of Procellarum ridges lovely right now

cloudsweeper

5.00pm - Moon (high, south of east) waxing gibbous - 10" Bresser - sky clear (and still fairly bright, so lunar glare is not so great) - not been out for a while - first things I noticed were Sinus Iridum, Copernicus, and the Riphaeus Mountains.  To the east of them lie the tiny craterlets Eppinger and Kuiper, then to the west is the slightly larger Euclides.  Further west again and very close to the terminator is the beautiful and sinewy web of ridges including Ewing and Rubey.  A fine sight in Procellarum.  x159 used.

Hopefully I can continue to enjoy lunar and other views as the evening approaches.

Doug.

• Like 7

Thanks Alan - I did a bit more with the Moon - Gassendi was right on the terminator, and to the south in Mare Humorum were craterlets casting very long shadows, plus more fine ridges resembling wave patterns on a beach.  In for a meal, then some Aries doubles by moonlight.  (Report to follow.)

Great to be back in action!

Doug.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

5.00pm - Moon (high, south of east) waxing gibbous - 10" Bresser - sky clear (and still fairly bright, so lunar glare is not so great) - not been out for a while - first things I noticed were Sinus Iridum, Copernicus, and the Riphaeus Mountains.  To the east of them lie the tiny craterlets Eppinger and Kuiper, then to the west is the slightly larger Euclides.  Further west again and very close to the terminator is the beautiful and sinewy web of ridges including Ewing and Rubey.  A fine sight in Procellarum.  x159 used.

Hopefully I can continue to enjoy lunar and other views as the evening approaches.

Doug.

I have been out out the last two evenings and the have been great for lunar observing. Can’t get my head around two nights back to back.

You lucky devil. I was so hoping for a third but the clouds have rolled in. I do not begrudge you though, enjoy. Sounds wonderful.

I am an occasional lunar observer, best described by “if you can’t beat them, join them” but it has been a treat. I hope you get tomorrow night as well to compare the difference in terminator position.

Good luck Marv

Was out tonight for the first time in quite a while. As forecast, it abruptly stopped raining and the skies cleared to show the Moon. I put the 8" f/6 newt out and gave it the beans, most enjoyable. Couldn't be bothered to look up the names of all the great features on show, but they were all there. :happy11:

I swapped out eyepieces, sampling magnifications of 240x, 170x, 110x before settling on 133x as best in show on the night, using the aperture as opposed to magnification to cut through the gooey air. Really nice sharp views in between the ripples. In the end it got pretty cold and dewy, but nothing fogged up and I got back in with all digits intact. Good to get out again.

• Like 2