Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telementor smartphone pics

Stu

Unexpected clear skies today so I popped the Telementor out quite early when I saw the Moon high up in the afternoon. Had some excellent visual views, just using my Zoom to get the best image as the light changed towards dusk.

Here are a few shots i took quite quickly after dark. Surprised by how well M42 and the Trapezium came out. I was using my Vixen GP so the tracking kept the stars fairly tight. There is a fair amount of blue CA around brighter stars and Venus, but this is not obviously on the Moon for some reason which is great.

As an aside, I'm grateful for the Japanese including proper protection circuitry on the DD3 controller; I stupidly thought it was centre negative like much Vixen kit but fortunately didn't blow it up! Also working properly now with the correct polarity.

PSX_20200201_191458.jpg

20200201_191528.jpg

20200201_185248-01.jpeg

20200201_170841.jpg

20200201_170900.jpg

20200201_170945.jpg

• Like 3

Great post, I always look out for your avatar, quality as usual. One question, what’s the deal with a ‘Telementor’.

I have seen this word/name used a few times and it is a mystery to me. I know I could, like a teenager Google it. But I have just got a new iPhone and have very little idea how to use it😂 plus it’s asking on here is quicker than Google. Horses mouth so to speak.

Marvin

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Great post, I always look out for your avatar, quality as usual. One question, what’s the deal with a ‘Telementor’.

I have seen this word/name used a few times and it is a mystery to me. I know I could, like a teenager Google it. But I have just got a new iPhone and have very little idea how to use it😂 plus it’s asking on here is quicker than Google. Horses mouth so to speak.

Marvin

The Telementors were scopes made in East Germany in order to provide every school with a telescope. These were made by Zeiss, and combine what you could call bullet proof mechanics (presumably in order to survive the school children's attention), with lovely sharp Zeiss optics.

Fundamentally they are a slow, f13.3 63mm achromatic scope which delivers very fine lunar, planetary and double star views, albeit with some inevitable CA given the fact that it is an achro.

Some info below (googled 🤣🤣)

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/articles/zeiss-telementor-r2605

http://scopeviews.co.uk/ZeissTelementor.htm

• Like 1