NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

m42 m43 processing

alacant

6 hours ago, jager945 said:

Then choose the 'Minimum Distance to 1/2 Unity' Filter.

@jager945

Hi Ivo and thanks for your reply.

It's working, but I'm getting too abrupt an effect. What Layer Mode would you recommend? 

TIA

ss7.thumb.jpg.3dc6282490dc44cf4e568c9bd8bc8a21.jpg

EDIT: Oh, nice... Getting the hang of it...

ss8.thumb.jpg.87298a19884266d4bcbc49acdb67f936.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 3

On 01/02/2020 at 22:57, alacant said:

When I try, it seems to ignore and mask. The nearest I could get was Layers in Darken mode but it just makes the core grey instead of white.

If you have Layers and Masks available could you possibly adopt this Photoshop method, which I prefer to proprietory HDR techniques?  http://www.astropix.com/html/j_digit/laymask.html

Basically you paste the processed short subs on top of the processed long ones, create a mask, paste a copy of the processed long subs onto the mask and this will allow the transparent over exposed parts on the mask to let the top layer appear. You need to blur and manipulate the histogram of the mask to get a seamless result.

Olly

• Thanks 1

On 01/02/2020 at 17:52, almcl said:

Here's an unstretched 10 second sub I took a while ago with my 700d to get the centre:

M42.jpg.27c00ab1730feb4fe40d16834b19645c.jpg

After processing this was layered with a few 30 second subs to give this result:

1177907771_M42layered.jpg.b71eae3fb793e2a1122345b7adb2295a.jpg

About 12 minutes capture time in all.  I have improved a bit since then...

Al, there's a green feature in your image just above the Trapezium which I also found in an image offered up for processing on here recently. I must admit that I took it for an artifact and subdued it but I now think I should try some OIII on the region to see what that gives. I have no trace of it in my own LRGBHa data but it looks as if it might be perfectly genuine.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Isn't that the same as this?

It is, yes. Sorry, I missed the fact that it had been posted already. It's worth emphasizing that it's often necessary to increase the saturation quite considerably on the shorter exposures.

Olly

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Al, there's a green feature in your image just above the Trapezium which I also found in an image offered up for processing on here recently. I must admit that I took it for an artifact and subdued it but I now think I should try some OIII on the region to see what that gives. I have no trace of it in my own LRGBHa data but it looks as if it might be perfectly genuine.

Olly

Olly, I am told that the 'teal' colouring (which my city lights suppression filter rather mangles) is actually genuine and caused by 'dominant OIII emissions - a rarity- , excited by the young O and B giants in the core' .

The same source also tells me that I should always check such statements out for veracity.  On this occasion I haven't, but it certainly sounds plausible.

I have since reprocessed the data in more up-to-date stacking and post processing software and get a slightly different result.  Think my capture skills may have improved but a bit less sure about the processing ones.

634526405_M42reprocess.jpg.ad015d433a6bdb9e8f5ef3a39bd0514e.jpg

Edited by almcl
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

saturation quite considerably

I'm finding that for both the over exposed core and the shorter exposure stack. 

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all method for this target:(

Lunchtime fiddle.

StarTools HDR layers using Ivo's distance-to-half-unity algorithm thingy.

Any more and it starts to get that -FWOABW- photoshop look.

Next up: the teal. Can't abandon just yet. Sorry!

1772699798_intento5(copy).thumb.jpg.d82ab3ec2c8c95b9e7374591cde3f6c4.jpg

Edited by alacant
la gramática
  • Like 2