Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

m42 m43 processing

alacant

Hi everyone

We're gonna have a go at the lower layering frames to get the white bits coloured. There doesn't seem to be any rules to calculate which exposure these should be. Can remember guessing this some time but wasted a lot of time on it. Visitor leaves tomorrow so must get the frames -in between the cloud it seems- tonight...

These are 3 and 4 minute frames as we stupidly thought the shorter time would sort us, DUH.

Any guidelines most gratefully received.

As an anecdote: apart from advising on the colour scheme, our better halves got involved in competing for the most animal heads they could find in the image. Eat your heart out ngc2174.

Cheers and clear skies.

716095576_1-43(copy).thumb.jpg.8461de052d942f57bcb461a52ffb7c15.jpg

• Like 8

Here's an unstretched 10 second sub I took a while ago with my 700d to get the centre:

M42.jpg.27c00ab1730feb4fe40d16834b19645c.jpg

After processing this was layered with a few 30 second subs to give this result:

1177907771_M42layered.jpg.b71eae3fb793e2a1122345b7adb2295a.jpg

About 12 minutes capture time in all.  I have improved a bit since then...

Edited by almcl
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

How does the stacked, unprocessed image look?

Hi. Yeah, unfortunately it's all white too:( But a good idea for maybe a third, mild stretch layer for the core surroundings This may indeed come from the 3 minute frame stack.

Cheers.

Almost astro dark here...

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

how to reveal the core

Hi. Yeah, I was looking for a free lunch too! I tried StarTools' HDR (I think that's what Ivo would use?) but unfortunately you can't mask in the HDR module, so you end up with a full frame HDR when what you want is just the core. Maybe worth asking over on st. 

Thanks

**We've just bagged the 10s frames, so my participation is over,  but they too look dangerously blown in EKOS' fitsviewer. Here's hoping the auto-stretch has overdone it.

10s and 240s. maybe the 10s is stretched too far but getting there. I think the mask mode isn't the best. Too many choices! Got a bit of green though;)

Any ideas? Too much, not enough...

Cheers and thanks for your patience.

ss3.jpg.a5cc329a625889759d6ae90055326a88.jpg

ss2.jpg.355b87ff57d1295f9c5632782e018edd.jpg

ss1.jpg.b9e0823896a5114f9e1f0d35a477e3c5.jpg

ss4.jpg.97dcf690c0c5d731ba6c2f01e36d8de2.jpg

Edited by alacant

I tried something similar a week or two ago for first time but just as a training exercise for myself to see how to combine frames of different exposures so maybe a lot simpler than what you are trying to do.  

I used two methods both taken from a website by Jerry Lodriguss, not sure if you have looked at these or not, oe whether there is anything useful to you or not regarding the colour.

Compositing 2 Different Exposures with Layer Masks

Compositing 2 Different Exposures with Selection Masks

Steve

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

anything useful

Thanks, yeah. So far we've been punching through the layer mask, blurring the edges and hoping for the best. The method of the colour mask looks doable too.

Edited by alacant
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi. Yeah, I was looking for a free lunch too! I tried StarTools' HDR (I think that's what Ivo would use?) but unfortunately you can't mask in the HDR module, so you end up with a full frame HDR when what you want is just the core. Maybe worth asking over on st. 

Thanks

**We've just bagged the 10s frames, so my participation is over,  but they too look dangerously blown in EKOS' fitsviewer. Here's hoping the auto-stretch has overdone it.

I’m sure you need to use the layer mode I’m sure @jager945 will happily set you on the correct path in startools 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi everyone

We're gonna have a go at the lower layering frames to get the white bits coloured. There doesn't seem to be any rules to calculate which exposure these should be. Can remember guessing this some time but wasted a lot of time on it. Visitor leaves tomorrow so must get the frames -in between the cloud it seems- tonight...

These are 3 and 4 minute frames as we stupidly thought the shorter time would sort us, DUH.

Any guidelines most gratefully received.

As an anecdote: apart from advising on the colour scheme, our better halves got involved in competing for the most animal heads they could find in the image. Eat your heart out ngc2174.

Cheers and clear skies.

716095576_1-43(copy).thumb.jpg.8461de052d942f57bcb461a52ffb7c15.jpg

blimey it's not a very good image is it. i can hardly see the nebula at all :') :') 

• Haha 1

On 02/02/2020 at 08:35, alacant said:

Thanks

You may indeed be able to rescue some details from the highlights, but if an area is overexposed (very easy to on M42), the detail and/or colour information is just not there and you will have change tack;

In that case, you will want to take a shorter exposure stack, make sure it is aligned with the longer exposure stack, process it to taste (preferably fairly similar to the other stack) and then use the Layer module to create a High Dynamic Range composite. To do this, put the one of the two finished images in the foreground and the other in the background. Then choose the 'Minimum Distance to 1/2 Unity' Filter. This filter creates a composite that switches between the background and foreground image, depending on which pixel is closes to gray (1/2/ unity). To make the switching less apparent/abrupt, bump up the Filter Kernel Radius. This will make the transitions nice and smooth.

• Like 2