Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Update HEQ5 motor controllers through EQMOD?

tobblerone

Hi!

I recently bought an ASIair that I cant get to connect to my HEQ5 through EQdir cable. In the line of troubleshooting I got the advice to update the HEQ5 motor controllers as the mount is 8 years old and never been updated. However all I can find is how to update it through the synscan handcontroller and I cant find the needed cables to connect it to my PC. 

So my question is, can I update the HEQ5 using using EQMOD and the EQdir cable that I do got?

Thanks in advance!

/Tobias

No. Eqmod is intermediate software between the mount hardware & Ascom & driving software e.g. PHD2\CDC etc....

You can upgrade the mount firmware using the eq-direct cable to connect your PC to the mount, but you must use other software, which can be downloaded from here http://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/   and the site also has the instructions of how to do it....

Hi

This is interesting. 
I have a 6 year old HEQ5 that has never been updated and I am currently experiencing guiding issues that I can’t seem to solve with tweaking guide settings. The SW website list two firmware downloads that look as if they would apply to an HEQ5: Motor Controller Firmware Loader V1.74 and HEQ5 Go To Mount V2.04. 
Is it fairly straightforward to do the update? Do you need both downloads? Do you use the serial cable that came with the mount? I have an old winXP laptop that has a serial port. Will the update work under winXP? 
Thanks

Bill

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

No. Eqmod is intermediate software between the mount hardware & Ascom & driving software e.g. PHD2\CDC etc....

You can upgrade the mount firmware using the eq-direct cable to connect your PC to the mount, but you must use other software, which can be downloaded from here http://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/   and the site also has the instructions of how to do it....

Thanks! I got the impression that it could only be done through synscan handcontroller when I read their instructions. It worked flawlessly however! Although it did not solve my issues with the ASIair... When is it justified to just buy a new mount?!

Anyway, big thanks for the help!

/Tobias

Before getting too disheartened, If you were able to update the mount, using your PC, as a test, and if you have  EQMod\Ascom & CDC installed then you should be able to connect to the mount and 'drive' it.....

If that works, then the issue is with the ASIAir, not recognising the mount via the EQDirect connection, this may just require addition drivers being installed on the Air....

23 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Before getting too disheartened, If you were able to update the mount, using your PC, as a test, and if you have  EQMod\Ascom & CDC installed then you should be able to connect to the mount and 'drive' it.....

If that works, then the issue is with the ASIAir, not recognising the mount via the EQDirect connection, this may just require addition drivers being installed on the Air....

Yes I can controll the scope using a PC and StellariumScope and it works great. Tried two different brands of EQdir cable (Lynx and PegasusAstro) together with the ASIair with no luck. Made sure its connected, turned, updated the software, used the correct settings.. Im running out of things to try 😆 Looking into the possibility to reinstall the ASIair.. 

/Tobias

2 hours ago, tobblerone said:

Yes I can controll the scope using a PC and StellariumScope and it works great. Tried two different brands of EQdir cable (Lynx and PegasusAstro) together with the ASIair with no luck. Made sure its connected, turned, updated the software, used the correct settings.. Im running out of things to try 😆 Looking into the possibility to reinstall the ASIair.. 

/Tobias

Just to let you know the latest Stellarium now supports ASCOM (on Windows) telescope control, so you no longer need Stellariumscope to connect to EQMOD.

4 hours ago, cuivenion said:

Just to let you know the latest Stellarium now supports ASCOM (on Windows) telescope control, so you no longer need Stellariumscope to connect to EQMOD.

I did not know that! Thanks, will check it out! Might make things simpler with the laptop out until I get this whole ASIair business sorted out!

/Tobias