Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nebulosity users on Mac

mattjanes100

I've recently acquired a DSLR so am starting to look at the next steps for image processing. As a Mac user it looks like my options are relatively limited, but Nebulosity seems to be a good one stop shop for pre-processing. I just wondered if there were any users here that could provide a bit of a review?

I do love my Macbook so would be loathed to end up having to buy a Windows machine!

Thanks in advance to all.

I’m Mac based, so have been through the same journey as you are about to start...

Nebulosity is great. Simple to understand and with a good manual.

I use it for pre-processing, aligning and stacking.

I also does a reasonable job of background colour correction and a DDP stretch. Then you can save out as a 16bit tif file.

Recently I’ve started using APP. It does an even better job of alignment and stacking (but takes longer to do, so for a quick process just to see what data was captured on a previous evening I still revert to Neb).

APP though does have very useful tools for gradient and light pollution extraction, similar to PixInsight.

I then work in Photoshop, using Noel’s Actions and Gradient XT. There’s also Annie’s Actions and plenty of other plug ins to be found (or make your own). I wouldn’t contemplate getting into ‘Cloud’. A friend has just purchased via Amazon a Photoshop CS2. I believe it to be legit - it certainly works as he’s now asking for lessons!

If you don’t want to fork out, GIMP is a free and powerful Ps alternative.

I tried WINE, but found it unstable with the  software mentioned. So I did get myself an old Windows 7 laptop for the webcam stuff. I also use it for guiding now (although PHD2 works on Mac). I use Photoshop CS2 on the PC as there are some plugins that only work in the Windows environment - free HLVG for green colour cast removal and (Noel’s) Starspikes Pro4. Make sure if you go for an old PC that it runs 64bit, so you can use Starnet++ (stand-alone if not a PI user), in the future also (mine doesn’t, but I’ll be getting the wife’s old PC in a few months when she upgrades!)

For other webcam stuff, Keith’s Image Stacker I think is still around, but I’d recommend OACapture - built by one of the guys on here.

Best of luck, you’ve got plenty of learning curve you can ascend before you might feel the need to jump to Windows (if at all)...

Hope that helps...?

Clear skies

Damian

Edited by TakMan
  • Thanks 1