Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatory computer

poogle

Hi

Now that my obs is finished I'm trying to make everything fully automated. There's two things left, opening/closing of the lid/roof and acquiring flats. I realized that I'm gonna need a better PC that can withstand the humidity/temperature 24/7.

Does anyone have any suggestions? First of all I'm thinking small size (to be fitted on the scope to minimize flexure), fanless and lots of USB-ports so that I wont need a USB-hub. Something like this maybe? 

https://www.banggood.com/Eglobal-GK-Mini-Pc-I7-4500U-8G-RAM-128G256G512G-SSD-Wifi-DDR3-Windows-78910-Linux-1_8GHz-Fanless-Mini-Desktop-PC-p-1548691.html?ID=6270229&cur_warehouse=CN

Here's a shot of my "box observatory"

/Patrik

IMG_20161207_123407.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Patrick,

If your roof hinges open about 90 degrees I would consider a gate motor control system. There are relatively cheap gate control systems that provide all the kit in a package (inc remote controllers). For example I used a roller gate system for my ROR observatory (cost £150) complete. 

• Like 1

That looks like a good chunky computer having an I7 cpu and USB3 ports. Try to spec it with SSD drive - less moving parts then (probably none as it is fanless). I have never seen a computer with so many hardware com ports on! Most systems do not have one hardware com port nowadays.

Check out in the specs what the environmental recommendations are for operation. I'm not sure of your local conditions in Sweden but you may find it is ok.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, poogle said:

Very intresting, and affordable too

seems a shame its limited to just 8 gig of ram, upgraded my lappie to 16 gig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xsubmariner said:

Hi Patrick,

If your roof hinges open about 90 degrees I would consider a gate motor control system. There are relatively cheap gate control systems that provide all the kit in a package (inc remote controllers). For example I used a roller gate system for my ROR observatory (cost £150) complete. 

Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking along those lines as well. The lid open around 110 degrees and comes to a rest leaning on my houses roof :) However I over-compensated while building the lid, so it weighs around 80 kg and I would probably need two acutators with a stroke length of around 120-130 centimeters 😅

27 minutes ago, Frank the Troll said:

Very intresting, and affordable too

seems a shame its limited to just 8 gig of ram, upgraded my lappie to 16 gig

Yes, but I think 8 gigs will suffice, it's only gonna be used for controlling all my gear running SGP and PHD

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

That looks like a good chunky computer having an I7 cpu and USB3 ports. Try to spec it with SSD drive - less moving parts then (probably none as it is fanless). I have never seen a computer with so many hardware com ports on! Most systems do not have one hardware com port nowadays.

Check out in the specs what the environmental recommendations are for operation. I'm not sure of your local conditions in Sweden but you may find it is ok.

I know, it's a bit overkill with all those com-ports, must be designed for indusrial use. I do like 8 usb-ports through.

SSD is a very solid advice. Most computers are rated for operation above 5 degrees, but I don't think the cold (down to -10 degrees) is any problem, maybe humidity and dust.

4 minutes ago, poogle said:

Yes, but I think 8 gigs will suffice, it's only gonna be used for controlling all my gear running SGP and PHD

That would be fine then, I was thinking more in terms of heavy image processing ;)

If needed you could add an extra SSD in a cradle via usb, I upgraded my ssd, and kept the old one, and now use it for storage

Edited by Frank the Troll

5 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

I use an Intel NUC - i5 - 16 gig Ram - SSD - has worked down to minus 20º - 6 USB ports - cant fault it. Controlled by RDP from inside. The bit of heat it generates keeps it dry - its currently running a 'darks' sequence' in this sort of weather.

https://www.davidbanksastro.com/equipment

Wow, more snow than I've seen all year here :) Do you know the model name/number of the NUC? I have only found Intel NUCs with four (external) USB ports

Its still coming down too !!!

The standard NUC has 4 USB ports but you can get an aftermarket replacement lid that has an extra 2 or even 4 extra USB ports - 10 min job to fit.

I got my NUC of eBay - refurbished. Lid also from eBay. Works superbly.

• Like 1