Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First astro image

Johns22

Last Sunday we finally got some conditions I could have a go at astro imaging! Thanks for the tips in this forum!

Using a Canon 600D unmodified, with the kit 18mm lens on a static mount, I captured 10 x light frames at 20 sec shutter speed, f3.5, ISO800 focussed on Orion. I also collected 5 Darks at the same settings. I used a 30 day trial of BackyardEOS to capture the images directly to the laptop.

I used Deep Sky Stacker (and some online tutorials) to stack the images and then used GIMP to process (and some more online tutorials...).

I'm pretty happy with the result for my first ever! I appreciate there's a lot to improve on, and a lot more to learn but hey, we all have to start somewhere! The colouring towards the bottom left is pesky light cloud which I tried to remove - my Wife thinks it adds character!! 😆

The adaptor T Ring just arrived for my 200P, and I've got some motors on the way for the EQ5! 

orion-260120.jpg

• Like 9

Nice start. 👍  It's great just to get an image when starting off and it is an achievement to be proud of.

I am a relative newbie and still so much to learn, so there are loads of members better to give you advice than myself.

My first images were not good at all but slowly things did progress but after less than 2 years I am achieving some reasonable images (nothing like some of the wonderful images that so appear on this forum but for me I am happy).

I think the main things I have learnt is to be patient, use this forum for advice (often there is more than one way to crack the proverbial egg so sometimes the advice does differ and you may have to try more than one solution to see what works for you but generally great advice) and concentrate on one aspect at a time to improve on. You cannot cure all issues in one go but as your images improve, albeit bit by bit, you will feel a real sense of satisfaction.

Oh and I guess most important of all enjoy it, this can be a very frustrating hobby obsession at times but if it all seems too much then stop and slow down, everything can be cured but maybe not in that particular session, there will always be another night.

I look forward to seeing your future images. 🙂 

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great start.   It's really easy to see that you are taking a photo of the large Magellanic cloud.   Just kidding.  It's a good orion shot.  Keep going.  The better that you get with wide field, the easier it will be when you ramp up the focal length.

• Like 1

The 200p is an amazing amazing scope. I still love mine 9 years later. The motor drives are worth every penny. If you are feeling brave, you can mod the hand controller and add a guiding port. I didn’t end up using that set up for very long but you could undoubtedly get stunning results. Here is a FIVE minute exposure taken on your set up but with a hand controller mod and guide camera. It also wasn’t polar aligned properly and I hadn’t attached the guidescope very securely (hence the slight star trailing), but those issues could easily be fixed. 

4C425C5C-5E53-47B9-ADA2-B6D59A76A3FA.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, willcastle said:

The 200p is an amazing amazing scope. I still love mine 9 years later. The motor drives are worth every penny. If you are feeling brave, you can mod the hand controller and add a guiding port. I didn’t end up using that set up for very long but you could undoubtedly get stunning results. Here is a FIVE minute exposure taken on your set up but with a hand controller mod and guide camera. It also wasn’t polar aligned properly and I hadn’t attached the guidescope very securely (hence the slight star trailing), but those issues could easily be fixed. 

4C425C5C-5E53-47B9-ADA2-B6D59A76A3FA.jpeg

That's a great image - I'm looking forward to improving (and no doubt going backwards at times)! I fitted the DSLR to the scope for the first time last night. Whilst I didn't get any suitable images, I was very thankful to be able to focus on stars at least after a bit of effort!