Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Counter balance position?

I have 2 different counter balance weights, a heavy one and a lighter one.

To achieve balance I can either have the lighter weight at the end of the shaft or I can use the heavy weight to balance halfway up the shaft.

My question is, is one more preferable than the other or does it not matter? 

I heard that the weight should be further up but in this case it means a higher total weight for the mount to deal with. 

Am curious as to if one is better?

Thanks in advance.

For dragging the scope around the lighter weight is better (helps your back),
to keep the angular momentum down the heavier weight closer to the axis of rotation is better (helps stability).

• Like 2

I asked the very same question a while back and got the answer that more weight closer to the point of rotation is better than less weight farther out. Something about point of inertia and ends in inevitable equations.

I currently have an NEQ5 pro mount. 150pds OTA. The mount comes with two counter weights. One weight at farthest extension is not enough for balance.

Both weights at the closest is too much for ep work but exactly right when the DSLR is added for pictures. I am planning on drilling holes in one of my weights to remove mass to get it just right. The point is I could use one weight at full extension but two, with one modded is better.
Always aim for the best setup you can achieve and if possible don’t shy away from DIY.

Marv

I've never been one to shy away from DIY, especially if it saves money! 😂

Thank you all for the help. I've done a few sessions with the light weight so am definitely going to swap to the heavier one and see how it goes.