Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aligning polar scope with main scope

On 25/01/2020 at 20:53, cuivenion said:

Your polar scope needs to be calibrated, that is, aligned to the RA axis of the mount:

https://www.myastroscience.com/polarscopecalibration

You need to also account for cone error if you're expecting to see Polaris centered in the main scope and the polarscope at the same time.

Having Polaris centered in both isn't necessarily what you're looking for though. Just make sure that your polar scope is calibrated and you've corrected cone error as well as possible. Then go through whatever polar alignment routine you use.

If you're imaging and using a guider just use Sharpcap Polar Alignment. Just get Polaris in the FOV of your polarscope (you have to get a rough polar alignment to get Sharpcap to work) and then use Sharpcap from there. It's great.

If I get an excellent PA in SharpCap does it matter if my pole scope isn’t calibrated? Last time I tried to do it one of the small screws fell onto the chamber and I had to send for a new pole scope. 

If you have good PA in Sharpcap you should be fine. I look through the polar scope and make adjustments until I get Polaris roughly in the center of the FOV, then I use Sharpcap to get good polar alignment.

Because I'm just using the polar scope to just get in the ball park it doesn't need to be aligned super accurately, but if you were using the polar scope as your only method of PA you'd obviously have to make more of an effort to make sure the polar scope is aligned to the RA of the mount.

• Like 1