Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ Goto 5v mount

cuivenion

36 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

Is there any mounts out there that run on a 5v USB input for power?Mostly interested in EQ Goto mounts. Any payload is ok, just curious about what's out there.

I doubt it. Even the non goto EQ 3 and 5 use 6v in their drives. USB ports provide about 600ma, which isn't an awful lot.

Stepper motors run on current pulses not voltages, but having said, that a standard USB will supply 5 volts but only 1.5 A current (usually a lot less), not enough to reliably drive any motors....   There are 'beefier' supplies that use USB connectors, but they are intended for specific purposes....

You have power banks that supply 2.4a per USB output connection now, that being said the USB isn't the important thing you could use a USB to jack converter, its more being able to the have lower voltage and use a battery that doesn't cost that much and doesn't weigh a ton.

Edited by cuivenion

I've had great success using this to power my SW Alt-Az mount with Skymax 102 Mak on board.  12v not 5v (but with a 5v USB output too.)

Docooler GM322 Mini UPS Power Protection Charger 7800MAH

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BF4SR6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Runs for 6+ hours with lots of slewing & tracking.   Only complaint is that the green light is a bit bright.

• Like 1

Thats very impressive, the 12v power bank i got recently only powers my heq5 for 3 hours. Unfortunately I need about 5a to run the HEQ5 without a hitch. It's also quite finicky on voltage. If it goes below 12v I get the flashing warning light so I use a step up circuit to keep it at 14 volts. I think I'm going to save up and buy one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36-hole-Lithium-Golf-Battery-Pack-ideal-PowaKaddy-Hill-Billy-and-Motocaddy-22ah/392118280960?hash=item5b4c122300:g:L~4AAOSwFqJWs3Ry

A bit cheaper than the tracer batteries.