Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dual rig power

I'm thinking of getting a second mount (probably eq6-r) so I can take better advantage of those very rare clear skies. I've currently got a Nevada PS-08 6-8A Regulated Linear Power Supply running AZEQ6, 1600mm, two dew heaters and sesto senso. It's located about 10 or 15 meters from the scope running two power cables to power all that. I did have some issues with the mount not getting enough power but suspect it was due to power the cable length (worked when swapped to 2.5mm cable). My query is should I get a second of these to power a second similar setup (but with 4 dew heaters) or would I be better with something like this to power both? May possibly be-able to shorten distance between power supply and scope.  Any thoughts appreciated as electrics not a strong point. Thanks

Edited by AbsolutelyN

I use a 32 amp version of that to power my amateur radio gear and it works fine. I use another, older version power supply, which isn't switched mode, to power my astro rig and it draws about 4 to 5 amps when everything is on (dew heaters x 3, cooled astro camera, mount when slewing) so is well within the capacity of the power supply which is capable of around 40 amps at 13.8 volts.

You will find it better to use the terminals on the rear and run two cables - one to each rig - and will find it is much more reliable than a car plug (up to 10 amps) that you can still run BTW from the front. Terminal binding posts are far more reliable than cigarette lighter plugs and are less likely to be kicked out in the dark!

My power supply and laptop power supply are in a large plastic storage box to keep the weather and dew off. I have drilled holes in the side to route the cables in and out. Mains electricity and water don't play well. I also put the imaging laptop into another one.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

I use a 32 amp version of that to power my amateur radio gear and it works fine. I use another, older version power supply, which isn't switched mode, to power my astro rig and it draws about 4 to 5 amps when everything is on (dew heaters x 3, cooled astro camera, mount when slewing) so is well within the capacity of the power supply which is capable of around 40 amps at 13.8 volts.

You will find it better to use the terminals on the rear and run two cables - one to each rig - and will find it is much more reliable than a car plug (up to 10 amps) that you can still run BTW from the front. Terminal binding posts are far more reliable than cigarette lighter plugs and are less likely to be kicked out in the dark!

Thank Terry much appreciated. Are you referring to the higher spec power supply (or a similar one) - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/nevada-psw-30-25-30a-switch-mode-power-supply.html

1 minute ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Thank Terry much appreciated. Are you referring to the higher spec power supply (or a similar one) - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/nevada-psw-30-25-30a-switch-mode-power-supply.html

Yes indeed. That Nevada one will nail it.

I edited my reply and actually have the power supply (in box) close by the imaging rig. The 12v cable is only about 5 metres long and is heavy duty 2.5mm2 cable to minimize voltage drops. I found it easier to run a long mains extension (which is also in the lidded storage box) from the garage via an RCD circuit breaker. 

Brilliant thank you that's much appreciated. Do you don't happen to know if there is any reason I can't use mains/ring circuit cable to run say 10 meters from the power supply and then switch to heavy duty 2.5mm2 cable for the last couple of meters which go outside (and need to be flexible)? The distance to run is through the loft so can be pinned down to prevent movement as I know solid copper cable is not designed to be flexible. I just happen to have a load of ring mains cable. 

Yes no problem with that. The power supply does pump out a nominal 13.8 volts and over that distance with larger diameter copper the voltage drop at the end shouldn't be too much. The power supplies do have a voltage adjust knob but I just leave mine at the default and have never have had any issues.

• Thanks 1