Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starsense App, looks interesting

Stu

34 minutes ago, AngryDonkey said:

No sure where 'facial recognition' comes into it.... 🤣

When you take it out and setup it sees that you are happy and issues a sarcastic  "you must be optimistic" :)  It then waits and again looks at the expression on your face when you see it clouding over and then auto powers down. 

Jim 

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Stu said:

This App was just flagged up to me which looks interesting. Have downloaded it and will give it a try.

Anyone used it yet?

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/01/ces-2020-facial-recognition-for-stars-lets-this-telescope-automatically-find-objects-in-the-night-sky/

Looks interesting and might be something I would consider for use on the school's big Dobsonian; be interested in any follow up report Stu once you give it  a shake down.

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, saac said:

Looks interesting and might be something I would consider for use on the school's big Dobsonian; be interested in any follow up report Stu once you give it  a shake down.

Jim 

Will do Jim. I doubt it would be something I use much but may be handy for new starters with manual scopes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cv01jw said:

Do you not need one of the Celestron scopes to go with it?

Yes! I only just found this out which is annoying. You need an unlock code which comes with the scope :(

Stand down! Nothing to see here, unless of course you have the Celestron scope required to give you a code!

Well that is unfortunate and a somewhat shortsighted by Celestron I would have thought ! I guess other so called "push to " apps are available, doesn't SkySafari do something like that ?

Edited,  - just read that the Celestron app uses a form of plate solving using a stored database the other push to apps I was thinking about I believe just point to a locations using GPS reference and are reliant on an initial alignment. 

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, saac said:

Edited,  - just read that the Celestron app uses a form of plate solving using a stored database the other push to apps I was thinking about I believe just point to a locations using GPS reference and are reliant on an initial alignment. 

Jim 

Yes Jim, it was the plate solving part that seemed to be quite a step forward. I wonder if Skysafari might add the functionality at some point.

• Like 1