Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Shed pc - wake up remotely

bottletopburly

Help needed please I have my sons old Alienware Alpha pc with the intention of installing in shed this has usb3 ports so will run my incoming qhy290mm  now  previously I used two laptops using team viewer to log on to shed laptop from house ,  is it possible so to set shed pc up so I can wake up and log on from laptop in house ,(both systems running win10) without having to run between pc to input passwords ,the shed has internet via power line adapter , if so how do I do ,it is it a hard task to setup . 

Dave 

I’m not IT savvy enough to go for wake-up-on-lan but I leave my shed computer on which  keeps any damp at bay and subsequently allows me to dial in via AnyDesk. I have found AnyDesk to be far superior to TeamViewer in that basic access is the same but  you can just drag and drop files to be transferred (unlike using the specific download approach) and also it doesn’t nag me continually as TV thinks I am a commercial user. I have been stopped twice now despite having to prove my personal use to TV is gone now.

Just load AD to both computers. You will be given a 9 figure number for each which allows direct dial in, and this can be password protected (and saved). Then it’s just like using the machine as if you are there.

• Like 1

The way I do all remote connection with my obsy pc is through a WeMo switch and Remote Desktop.

For remote boot up of the PC I use the WeMo switch. When I power on the switch through the app, the PC automatically boots up. There’s an option in the PC settings somewhere to enable ‘boot on ac power’. Very easy.

I use Windows Remote Desktop for remote access (having got fed up with TeamViewer and its constant accusation of ‘commercial use’ and eventual lock up). RD is easy to set up for use across the LAN. It’s a little more complex to set up for use across the Internet as it involves port forwarding in your home router, but I managed to do it and I’m not the most techy person, so it can’t be too hard. I remember that somewhere along the Remote Desktop route it needed to be running on Windows 10 Pro version, but I can’t remember exactly which feature required this. Anyway, I purchased a super cheap Pro upgrade serial number from the internet (around £10 and perfectly legit) and it was all fine.

Using RD & the WeMo switch, I can boot up and control my obsy pc from anywhere in the world with internet or at least with a phone signal...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ampleamp said:

I’m not IT savvy enough to go for wake-up-on-lan but I leave my shed computer on which  keeps any damp at bay and subsequently allows me to dial in via AnyDesk. I have found AnyDesk to be far superior to TeamViewer in that basic access is the same but  you can just drag and drop files to be transferred (unlike using the specific download approach) and also it doesn’t nag me continually as TV thinks I am a commercial user. I have been stopped twice now despite having to prove my personal use to TV is gone now.

Just load AD to both computers. You will be given a 9 figure number for each which allows direct dial in, and this can be password protected (and saved). Then it’s just like using the machine as if you are there.

Had a play last night and I think your approach will work better for me , in that leaving the pc on will keep damp at bay , certainly a lot simpler than Tv and Remote Desktop to setup all seems to work  will see how i get on with it maybe wake on lan in future if need be .

• Like 1