NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Next Scope?

Getting a late Christmas present of a new scope, and wondering what to get.

I have a Skywatcher 130 PDS with a HEQ5 mount.

Current thoughts are a Skymax 150, or an Evostar 80ED Pro. 

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated. I think the main use would be DSOs.

The 80ED Pro would be the better imaging scope between the two, with the field of view being better for most DSO's and being easier to guide.  However, it has a very similar field of view to your 130PDS, are you using that for imaging?

Not sure if any one scope would justify upgrade over 130PDS for DSO imaging unless you have very specific need.

Do you know why you are upgrading? Maybe better upgrade path would be other imaging related gear - like guide setup if you don't have one, or maybe dedicated astro camera if you are using DSLR ....

• Like 2

Well I did wonder if the Skymax would be limited for DSOs, and realised the 80ED had a similar fov to  the 130PDS.

I guess the 80ED optics will be better than the 130PDS, so perhaps this is the best option.

Anything else at the £500 mark? (200PDS, Quattro F4, other makes ???)

14 minutes ago, Rothesian said:

Well I did wonder if the Skymax would be limited for DSOs, and realised the 80ED had a similar fov to  the 130PDS.

I guess the 80ED optics will be better than the 130PDS, so perhaps this is the best option.

Anything else at the £500 mark? (200PDS, Quattro F4, other makes ???)

I think that it would be good if you could tell us the rest of your imaging gear - mainly if you guide and what camera do you use as well as intended targets.

My guess is that you would want something to go high resolution as 130PDS pretty much covers everything else (btw - depending on what coma corrector you have - it will not lag optically behind 80ED and might even be ahead - larger aperture, no color aberration issues - faster scope, etc ...), but for that you need to match your camera with the scope and have good guiding / tracking.

For £500, I would get a guide 'scope and camera first. You already have an excellent mount in the HEQ5, and as Vlaive says the 130 P-DS is no slouch either, I cannot see an ED80 giving you anything that the 130 can't unless you really hate diffraction spikes. I might also look into an ASIAir, the new "pro" version is just under £300, so may push your budget. If you don't already have a comer corrector then get one now, the Baader MPCC MK whatever is favourite.

OK, just seen your post, so yes, get the ASIAir.

At the budget you have I agree that guiding will improve your imaging far more than a different scope at the kind of price will. It has really opened up viable targets for me and really isn’t complicated once you get used to it all. 

Does the mount have the Rowan belt mod? If not that’s a worthwhile upgrade too.