SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dehumidifier Question

Benjam

I’m running a EcoAir DD122 desiccant dehumidifier on continuous drainage. Somehow, recently it’s been stopping continuously draining and started filling up the tank inside and cutting out when full. I’ve taken everything apart, giving everything a clean and all seemed ok again. Now this evening It’s happened again. I’ve had it running constantly since September with no trouble. Now it’s December and i’m having a few issues. I don’t think it’s been cold enough to freeze the pipe, it’s currently 7 degrees outside. The pipe is plastic and roughly 5 inches long, wrapped in lagging.   

Has anyone encountered the same problem or is this normal for winter? Like I said, I don’t think it’s been cold enough for anything to freeze. 

Ben 

I find that sometimes my plastic pipe, which is much longer than yours,  becomes flattened.  That's how it looks when I have to empty the tank.  I squeeze it back into shape and then it's fine for some time before having to do it again.

The clear plastic tubing supplied with my dehumidifier was quite inflexible and did not take kindly into being bent into a S shape to connect to the outside drain point, causing it to flatten out quite severely. This has been replaced with more pliable silicon rubber tubing, and so far no problems, it’s been installed about the same length of time as yours.

Since these pictures were taken I’ve insulted both sides. I’m just baffled why 99% of the time it drains away, how it should do and now it’s just filling up the tank.

I too, upgraded the plastic pipe.

Ben 

CE735E7F-493B-4DCE-890F-48B2AABC9EA2.jpeg.60d3c78a085fb7e101d6c0e87bf3b0f1.jpeg

593226B8-5D4F-40C0-83CE-0EF33E8C72C6.jpeg.026a1fbfb4298525c5e3a2e8a2b22808.jpeg

Edited by Benjam

2 hours ago, tony210 said:

I had a spider in my pipe! Have you checked the pipe carefully for residents - evicting the spider cured my problem which was the same as yours- Tony.

I’ve just been outside expecting to empty the tank again and it’s completely empty, dehumidifier ticking along as normal. This is so bizarre, I really am baffled... 

Ben  

Check that the nozzle outlet on the dehumidifier is not blocked (I poked some wire up mine).  I once found a dead beetle in there that must have crawled up the pipe.  Also check that the nozzle isn’t cracked and that the pipe is fully pushed on it.  I assume you have made sure you have a downward drop away from the dehumidifier.  Your pipe run looks quite short so I can’t imagine it’s kinked, but check anyway.  Seems really weird otherwise.

On 24/12/2019 at 17:26, Hallingskies said:

Check that the nozzle outlet on the dehumidifier is not blocked (I poked some wire up mine).  I once found a dead beetle in there that must have crawled up the pipe.  Also check that the nozzle isn’t cracked and that the pipe is fully pushed on it.  I assume you have made sure you have a downward drop away from the dehumidifier.  Your pipe run looks quite short so I can’t imagine it’s kinked, but check anyway.  Seems really weird otherwise.

I went outside Christmas morning and the tank needed emptying,  though when I checked today, (Boxing Day) the tank was completely empty and working just fine. 
Yes, I have a downward drop, though difficult to see from the above picture. 

Maybe the nozzle is freezing up, though would this then divert water into the tank?

These dehumidifiers have a fairly simple ‘base’ to collect the water which then runs out through a small outlet hole which either drains into the tank or has the continuous drain pipe attached. If that drain hole clogs as it sometimes does, the base fills up and then overflow crudely into the tank. I’d recommend giving that drain hole in the base a really good check over.

• Thanks 1

Is it possible to insert a FULL tank of water ? This way you simulate the event without having to wait for a "natural" fill up (or not!) each time.

I presume that as it is inserted it should immediately start to drain. If not then something is blocked.

Was the "knock out disc" cleanly removed from the hole? Not possibly still floating around inside and unseen?

3 hours ago, dobblob said:

Is it possible to insert a FULL tank of water ? This way you simulate the event without having to wait for a "natural" fill up (or not!) each time.

I presume that as it is inserted it should immediately start to drain. If not then something is blocked.

Was the "knock out disc" cleanly removed from the hole? Not possibly still floating around inside and unseen?

I removed the knock out disk like a experienced surgeon before installing. However, I do like your idea (manually filling the tank) and checking for blockages.

I will report back tomorrow. 

Ben 

On the DD 122, doesn’t the external hose attach to the outlet nozzle that would normally fill the tank, so the water either goes down the pipe to the outside or fills the tank? I had quite a job pushing the hose over the nozzle, I wonder if the hose is coming off, allowing the tank to fill and then tripping the dehumidifier?

However, I guess you would know that the hose had come off?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tomato said:

On the DD 122, doesn’t the external hose attach to the outlet nozzle that would normally fill the tank, so the water either goes down the pipe to the outside or fills the tank? I had quite a job pushing the hose over the nozzle, I wonder if the hose is coming off, allowing the tank to fill and then tripping the dehumidifier?

However, I guess you would know that the hose had come off?

Thanks for the reply’s and suggestions so far... @pmlogg @tony210 @Hallingskies @steppenwolf @dobblob @tomato

I’ve prodded & poked about giving everything a wipe down and haven’t found anything to suggest a blockage @steppenwolf

Yes that’s correct @tomato though the hose is securely attached (see pictures below). I think here’s the problem, water is somehow bypassing the nozzle and external hose and filling up the tank. In theory, this should be impossible, I guess...  I’m also using the correct diameter hose. 

I’ve taken some more pictures to try and help illustrate the problem.

Ben 

Without the tank installed the nozzle is closed.

A581CF08-453C-4668-9265-D3581F3143C9.thumb.jpeg.5c112408a32729088ad8b36aa0e2d831.jpeg

Tank inserted and the nozzle opens, water then drips into tank. 

F6D0329E-201E-467F-8790-90A51C80D715.thumb.jpeg.508690e6fef136d6a89b99772847737e.jpeg

Picture taken from inside showing the hose pushed firmly over the nozzle.

49FB118C-B3CD-454D-99F1-AB91647620A9.thumb.jpeg.7497a973f81d7b1b9db028e6d7fd78bf.jpeg

Water then should bypass the tank and flow down the pipe and away. 

CEB43A2F-64FA-489F-93C0-2CAADCD20992.thumb.jpeg.805ff73e56609727547f8e3b6ce313ca.jpeg

Edited by Benjam

That all looks good. I think the hinged closure is there to enable the tank to be emptied without getting a little puddle on the floor. If water is running into the tank with the hose attached, there must be something amiss further up. Is the dehumidifier still under warranty?

10 hours ago, tomato said:

That all looks good. I think the hinged closure is there to enable the tank to be emptied without getting a little puddle on the floor. If water is running into the tank with the hose attached, there must be something amiss further up. Is the dehumidifier still under warranty?

I was thinking the very same thing before bed last night. What’s even more strange is when I remove the tank for emptying, everything is bone dry inside and this is with the hose attached. Yes, it came with a two year warranty and I only purchased the dehumidifier 6 months ago. I will contact the manufacturer.

Funny enough, the dehumidifier was empty this morning and working as it should... 

Edited by Benjam