NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

All-Sky-Cam

Altocumulus

As per the Title!

Ok, I've managed to cobble something up that works, though not without its issues.

I chose to place the cam on a tripod 30 metres away from the house. An ethernet cable takes the data back to a router near the house. It gives a sensible alternative to active USB cable, but I had to place the PC at the cam end.

The cam is run by a 5V 2A PC Stick, but I also have a 12V heat band to keep the you know what off!

There's a heathrobinson setup with the power supply - RCD protected mains cable runs to a waterproof junction box where there is a double socket. One socket has a phone charger attached for the PC, the other has a 12V adapter from something long gone. :eeks:

It works, but it's unsatisfactory and I'm looking ahead to a MarkII perhaps in the quieter Summer months.

Now we no longer have the benefit of a Tandy / Maplin here in the UK, can anyone offer a sensible solution to the need for a mains to DC converter that will satisfy both 5V and 12V output. Is such a thing available as a single unit, or is it a case of 240>>12V and another for the 12V>>5V.

One disadvantage of being environmentally aware during the last 30 years is the desire to grow trees! 30 metres gets me away from the house and the trees.

Warmly Geoff

hi Geoff

I went a slightly different route to start and used spare CCTV IP modules in a modified housing attached to the side of the shed. Downside is shutter speed is too fast really at 1/10s slowest, but it kinda works. As I had network out to the shed anyway it seemed the easiest way to go and no remote PC needed. Others use Rasberry Pi's I think so they can drive a USB camera. I had a play recently with a webcam on a network-USB server and that seemed to work, so a future option perhaps as I've a spare one kicking around. Sadly that was from Maplin who are as you said no more.

As for power, I guess you could run a single 12v of suitable amps and feed it via a splitter to a 12-5v buck converter so that you have a single supply but both 12v and 5v. Otherwise a PC PSU would do it, tho they tend not the be high amps on the 12v rail.

• Like 1