NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heq5 250pds

Hi I’m only a back garden observer I currently use a 200p explorer although fantastic next year I want to upgrade to a heq5 pro and then purchase the 250pds I’m not to worried about guide scopes and stuff Bit of visual if I did put a camera it would be basic! I don’t like seeing decent scopes covered in wires! I’m guessing the weight would be ok for this? Many thanks James 

The payload for the HEQ5 is given as 15kg, and the PDS250 is pretty much that weight I think

The mount will handle it, but you'll be on the limit and may need an extra weight to balance. I use a 250 Quattro on an HEQ5 but from memory I think I need an extra weight.

hmmm.... I would suspect a 10" Newt on a HEq5  would give the mount a few issues in terms of  payload.    Such a big volume scope does also acts like a sail in any breeze or gust  as well, especially if you attach it via a thin Vixen style  dovetail....   there is a sizable turning force operating on the saddle.

Imaging  might  result in a  few shaky subs. if you push the exposure time.    

• Like 1

14 hours ago, James82 said:

Any good for visual though thought it was purely for imaging! 

Well I guess its maybe intended for imaging, but fast for imaging means fast (brighter) for visual too. TBH I wasnt really suggesting the Quattro as an alternative, its just that I happen to have one so know more or less how it works on an HEQ5. It's slightly shorter than the equivalent 250PDS so maybe bit easier on the mount though.

All depends what you want to achieve. The greater aperture of the 250 is better for planetary resolution, but if you're doing mostly DSO's this isn't really much help. I use the Quattro for both planetary (with a x5 powermate) and short exposure (CMOS) DSO stuff. But TBH it's not a whole lot better than my 200PDS. 

There comes the price with the eq6 I’m more visually on the planets Uranus and Neptune interest me with the correct filters! I did read some armature observers seen the rings of Uranus but this odd world on its side is fascinating although it only looks small in my 200 newt 

17 hours ago, James82 said:

Hi I’m only a back garden observer I currently use a 200p explorer although fantastic next year I want to upgrade to a heq5 pro and then purchase the 250pds I’m not to worried about guide scopes and stuff Bit of visual if I did put a camera it would be basic! I don’t like seeing decent scopes covered in wires! I’m guessing the weight would be ok for this? Many thanks James 

Not sure about visual, 

but with any basic cam, - it will not work with a bit longer exposures.... You may get away with planetary imaging... but not DSO, as mount will stuggle to track properly, 

plus... such a big scope will catch wind quite easy...

Also...

keep in mind... once you place a "basic" cam on... you will be doomed...

You will most likely will get sucked into that "black hole of astrophotography" without any chance to escape.... :) 
HEQ5, in this case, is for 130PDS max... even 200P is a bit too large for HEQ5 if AP way is chosen.

In your case, I would stay with 200P and as @carastro suggested,  would check for NEQ6, - the second hand ones can be realitively cheap.

Edited by RolandKol

20 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

The payload for the HEQ5 is given as 15kg, and the PDS250 is pretty much that weight I think

The mount will handle it, but you'll be on the limit and may need an extra weight to balance. I use a 250 Quattro on an HEQ5 but from memory I think I need an extra weight.

Spot on, been there not only a extra weight a long bar as well ,and it will not hold in any wind at all ,  Heq5 and PDS 250 is a pain you can do with out.

3 hours ago, James82 said:

There comes the price with the eq6 I’m more visually on the planets Uranus and Neptune interest me with the correct filters! I did read some armature observers seen the rings of Uranus but this odd world on its side is fascinating although it only looks small in my 200 newt 

Since you mention Uranus, and in defence of the HEQ5 with a 10" scope, this was done with my Quattro 10S (+5x powermate) on the HEQ5. Uranus + 4 moons, done with  ASI290MM. It really needs to be redone with Uranus itself on a shorter exposure. But I warn you  working at this magnification is not for the faint hearted! 

Also as Roland said, once you go down the imaging route, you can wave goodbye to any kind of normal life... or bank balance!

1815207876_Uranus4moons.png.31927c015eb2c7c1f1e7e882efe7c382.png

3 minutes ago, James82 said:

That’s a great pic mate got any more like that  does an ir pass filter do anything for Uranus 

Thanks. That image was done as mono only with a red filter just too prevent to much smearing - I believe IR pass filter like 685 is preferred. I can't claim to be an expert on Uranus at all though - this is the only image I've done.

However this guy knows a thing or two about it, and his article is very informative. Remember though you will need some serious extra magnification to get anywhere near this! His were done with a C14 and a X2 powermate I think -  so 7820mm equivalent focal length.