Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hartl-Dengel-Weinberger 3 (HDW 3)

Petergoodhew

Hartl-Dengel-Weinberger 3 (HDW 3, PK149-09.1, PNG149.4-09.2) is an extremely faint ancient planetary nebula in the constellation Perseus. It is so faint that it is very rarely imaged.

Astrodon Blue: 17x300"
Astrodon Green: 20x300"
Astrodon Lum: 39x600"
Astrodon Red: 20x300"
Astrodon OIII: 51x1800s bin 2x2
Astrodon Ha: 76x1800s bin 2x2

Total Integration: 71.5 hours

Captured on my dual rig in Spain.
Scopes: APM TMB LZOS 152 (6" aperture 1200mm focal length)
Cameras: QSI6120wsg8
Mount: 10Micron GM2000 HPS

HDW3.jpg

Edited by Petergoodhew
  • Like 26

I have not seen this one before......71.5 hours on a dual rig equates to over 140 hours work on a normal set-up. 🤔...way beyond where most of us want to go....therefore quite a unique result I would say. Well done 👍

On 16/12/2019 at 18:59, Kinch said:

I have not seen this one before......71.5 hours on a dual rig equates to over 140 hours work on a normal set-up. 🤔...way beyond where most of us want to go....therefore quite a unique result I would say. Well done 👍

Thanks Brendan. The 71.5 hours was almost all done using just one scope due to some problems with the other scope that I've only just resolved. As you know the weather has been dreadful in Extramadura, like elsewhere in Spain - so it took me two months to capture this stupidly faint target!

On 16/12/2019 at 20:08, steppenwolf said:

What an unusual planetary, it seems very 'one-sided' which really adds to its appeal

Yes Steve its a real oddity that I find really beautful.  Apparentlly the one-sidedness stems from the fact that it's moving through space and creating a bow-shock as it moves forwards.  The strange "braided" look comes from the shock wave hitting the ISM.

52 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

That's sensational! I've never seen a PN like this before, let alone seen this one. What an absolute glory. Bravo! Image of the Year for me.

Olly

Many thanks Olly.  If I hadn't visited Les Granges so many times I would never have learnt so much from you that has made shooting and processing such difficult images possible! 

• Thanks 1