NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cable Management

TakMan

Had a few problems with the old mount recently, specifically when imaging the Soul Neb (around 60 degree DEC).

Been getting constant DEC northern drift with the mount refusing to respond to guide commands (all tested and it is working,). The diagnosis via the PHD2 forum is my balance and cable management rather than a specific mount issue

So, I'm after something a bit less rigid than cable ties and suggestions on the best placement of cables!

I've found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AGPTEK-Adjustable-Management-Retardancy-Protection/dp/B07SJ47RRK/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=AGPTEK+Adjustable+Cable+Sleeve%2C+3m%2F9.84ft+PET+Cable+Management+with+Flame+Retardancy%2C+Cable+Protection+System+for+TV%2C+Computer%2C+Home+Theater%2C+Car+and+More.(S2%2CBlack)&qid=1575585207&s=diy&sr=1-1

Any thoughts...?

I thought I'd followed the way most folks manage the mass of power/USB,heaters... routed to the OTA centreline and then down to a fixed point on the mount. I wonder if there is a better way though, perhaps fixed to the back of the dovetail plate and then to the mount. I think I'm 'happy' with the cables to the mount (hand controller, power and data (second pic) although happy to take advice and replace the cable ties with a more flexible solution.

Damian

IMG_5962.JPG

IMG_5952.JPG

Lose the long wrap around ty-raps and the sagging looms, & instead, put some self adhesive ty-rap bases at strategic points, such that you can form cable looms that are long enough between each base, such that they will provide support for the looms as the mount moves.

Skipper Billy has of course the ideal solution - reduce the cables as much as possible - down to one if possible. Although I had wanted to do similar, I always ended up with a cable mess going to the OTA area.....found I wanted separate power & USB cables for the camera - separate cable for the guider  - then I still had power & usb going to the hub up on the OTA. Anyway - still ended with a bunch of cables coming down, BUT - where I differ from you - I wanted them attached near to the rotation point of the EM400 RA axis.

So......well the picture shows how I got around the lower end cable management.......which works OK for me.

SAM_3041 (1080 x 810).jpg

SAM_3044 (1080 x 810).jpg

Edited by Kinch

That’s great - someone else with an EM400!

I might have to ask for some extra help at some stage as well, apologies in advance..,

Thanks all who have replied, many ways to skin a cat.

Clear skies to you all....

D

The long cable wraps would definitely make the cabling stiffer and heavier. I would avoid that.

I am using a CEM60 which has the benefit of USB and power distribution on the head, but even without that you should be able to dramatically reduce the number of cables dragging on the moving part of the mount. A powered USB hub, a 12V distribution block and your dew heater controller mounted on the scope , and the only cables dragging on the mount are one USB and one 12V power.

This is an early version. A lot of the longer USB and power cables have now been shortened to the correct length.

1942366613_191103RHS.jpg.d130af043cb702e03437bab536ed4ac3.jpg