Satellite train

Peterson

Yes my rowing partner was out walking his dog around then and texted me to say he nearly freaked out when he saw it flying past The Plough, a string about 5-6 times longer than The Plough. He went home to look it up and was horrified. He's just realized he's into astronomy at the age of 57, so I'm doing my best to lure him into the hobby...

Just to expand on the event.

I thought it was the ISS but it was followed by a second object....then a third, forth. This continued for a while, a complete arc of these objects. I lost count around the 24 mark. 

Cliff Johnson is part of a team of astronomers studying galaxies that are dominated by dark matter. Using the Dark Energy Camera (DECam) on the four-meter Blanco telescope at the Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory (CTIO) in Chile, the team are running a three-year survey called DECam Local Volume Exploration (DELVE) to observe nearby galaxies.

Last night, they were taking about 40 exposures of the night sky, looking towards the small and large magellanic clouds, two dwarf galaxies that neighbor the Milky Way. But during one set of those observations, 90 minutes before sunrise, the train of SpaceX’s Starlink satellites moved into view, glinting in the early morning sunlight and taking five minutes to pass across the telescope's line of sight.

960x0.jpg