SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mounting onto EQ6

rikyuu

Quick question, when mounting my 10" Newt onto the EQ6, I've had the scope rings and dovetail bar already fastened around the scope, then I mount the whole lot onto the EQ6. This proves difficult though as the whole lot weighs in at 17.5kg (because of a zoom lens also attached to the rings) and it's hard to lift it all up to chest height and slot the dove tail into the mount whilst holding it and tightening the wing nuts! I had a thought the other night that maybe I'm doing it wrong and the dovetail and rings should be attached to the EQ6 first, then the Newt clamped in.

What's the 'normal' way this is done?

Thanks

I guess there is no 'normal' way but your second method is the easiest and safest with a 'scope that big! Set it up with the weights on and pointing downwards and lock the RA clutch. Turn the DEC axis horizontal, lock the DEC clutch and attach the dovetail bar with the tube rings already attached such that the halves that open up are at the top and carefully open them and fold them back over the top. Now lift the 'scope over the fixed tube rings and rest it in the 'loving arms' of the bottom rings so that the 'scope is balanced (mirror end close to the centre than the open end) and gently swing one tube ring top back towards you and clamp it. The 'scope will now be fairly secure and ready for the second clamp.

I guess there is no 'normal' way but your second method is the easiest and safest with a 'scope that big! Set it up with the weights on and pointing downwards and lock the RA clutch. Turn the DEC axis horizontal, lock the DEC clutch and attach the dovetail bar with the tube rings already attached such that the halves that open up are at the top and carefully open them and fold them back over the top. Now lift the 'scope over the fixed tube rings and rest it in the 'loving arms' of the bottom rings so that the 'scope is balanced (mirror end close to the centre than the open end) and gently swing one tube ring top back towards you and clamp it. The 'scope will now be fairly secure and ready for the second clamp.

That IMO is the easiest and safest way to do Steve. The open rings are a larger target to hit. The Dovetail aperture is too narrow, and lining up the dovetail to fit it in there whilst maneuvering a heavy OTA is not advisable. But, each to his own, and as Mr L. says, try both and see which is easier.

Ron. :D

I had the same setup (EQ6 and 10" Newt) and used to put half the weights on to help stop movement, lock the clutch with the dovetail block and holding screws facing down, nestle the OTA in both arms, put the dovetaill in and reach under and tighten the holding screws. Then put the rest of the weights on.

It doesn't seem the best way now I've spelt it out!! :D

I had the same gear too and used to lift the lot onto the mount. If you do that, it is worth adding a second dovetail on to the top of the rings - gives you something solid to hold with one hand while you tighten the holding screws.

Mike

I had the same setup and found it far easier to have the rings and dovetail already attached to the EQ6 and then just put the ota into the rings and tighten, check the balance, and then when balance is found fully tighten the rings.

Kurt

I've got a similar setup, 10" f/6.3 newt, I have a dovetail bolted onto the top of the rings and use it as a handle. The bottom dovetail is drilled and tapped about 2/3 of the way up and a plastic 'foot' from a kitchen unit has been screwed into the hole. The 'foot' helps position the dovetail into the saddle and supports some of the weight while I tighten up the hand bolts, (it also ensures that the balance point is the same every time).

I'd rather lift the whole thing on and off to save time, I've never had a scary moment but is a bit of a handful.

Ian

I had the same setup (EQ6 and 10" Newt) and used to put half the weights on to help stop movement, lock the clutch with the dovetail block and holding screws facing down, nestle the OTA in both arms, put the dovetaill in and reach under and tighten the holding screws.

Same method as me (before I had a permant setup). I do it with an 80ed on its back and camera's attached when I go out to a datk site/ starparty.

Mike.

Thanks for all the comments. I agree about having something to hold onto, in fact I used the 2 tension adjusters off the Dobs mount, but still had a couple of tricky moments where the dovetail wasn't quite slotted in at the correct angle and nearly fell out. I will try leaving the whole mount setup with the rings attached, still that's 30'odd kilos in itself! Doh, a nice compact 80mm refractor next time!

Archived