Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Plato Craterlets 10th Dec

A McEwan

Hi all.

Last night (the 10th) I set up my new Equinox 120ED and decided to have a hunt for the famous Plato Craterlets. I'd seen one (hinted) in my old TeleVue 85 years ago, but never seen any since, despite the occasional look. Well last night the Equinox earned its place in my collection.

I was able to see 'A' and 'B' as pits at 134x, along with a strong impression of 'C'. When I increased the power to 173x I could see 'A', 'B' and 'C' as true craters, and could sometimes detect 'D' as well.

The seeing was very good and it was very cold. The only turbulence I could detect in the air was the steady resonance vibration of my GP mount's clock drive as it ticked away! (I was set up on paving stones - I don't usually get this effect on grass).

I was very pleased by this, both because I had finally managed to see some of the craterlets 'for real', with detail, and also because I managed to achieve it with my new 'scope.

I've been advised that the craterlets are easier to detect when the Moon is waning, so I'll keep an eye open for them then too.

Ant

Thats great Ant - well done :D .

I've tried a few times for a glimpse of the craterlets with my Vixen 102ED but so far without success - I guess in theory I should be able to make out one or two in good viewing conditions.

Do they appear clearly as craters or is it more like spots on Plato's floor of a different colour ?.

I assume that my 8 inch dob would also be able to pick a few out providing it's in good collimation and the conditions are favourable - I've not tried with that scope yet.

John

John, my view last night showed two of them clearly as tiny little craters at 134x with the third appearing as a 'suggestion' of a different coloured round patch that came and went.

When the power was increased, the first two were even more obvious, the third became similar to them (ie, defined as a pit or crater) and the fourth was like 'C' was at the lower power.

At times all four were there and definable, but mostly it was only three that were definite obvious depressions against the crater floor.

In my TeleVue 85, the time I first saw one, it was only as a lighter coloured 'spot' against the floor, so the extra aperture has obviously made the difference!

I've looked for these in my 10" dob on an night when Plato was not far from the terminator and the seeing seemed really good and the scope I think was well collimated but I didn't see anything :? . I am glad to see that they are regarded as "difficult" - I will try again :D . Well done to anyone who saw them :thumbright: . I'd be interested to hear from anyone who saw them in a newt.

cheers

Dan

• 1 month later...

Last night was amazing for the Plato craterlets. I turned my

102mm refractor ( magnification 200x) onto the moon and was

gobsmacked to clearly see 4 craterlets. The view of craterlet A

was the best I've ever seen. I've seen 4 before, but not like last night.

The 4 were so clear, and all visible at the same time.

Hi Dan

I think it's both of them. Looking at my observing logs, I notice

that my best views of the craterlets cover a period starting a couple

of days before and after the full moon. Even at full moon, I still

manage to bag a couple. I once read an article that said that the full

moon period was a good time to spot them, for they act like little

radar dishes and reflect light back. At Full Moon, I tend to use a green

filter which helps to highlight the bright little specks.

Archived