Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 130p and prime focus

BrendanC

1 hour ago, BrendanC said:

Thanks! Really appreciate the help. I reckon I'm going to go for it! :)

Go for it. Don't walk, run...

I have that mount, and in your setup it will be the weakest link but a good enough budget starting place. The AZ aspect of the mount and the relative 'flimsiness' of the mount and tripod given the weight you are putting on it will limit some of what you can do, but it is manageable and there's plenty else to concentrate on in the beginning. Warning: once you catch the bug you'll be saving all your Christmas and birthday money and searching the forums for second-hand HEQ5's  😉.

To answer your specific questions;

I've mounted a 1145p newtonian with tube rings and a vixen dovetail on that mount, so no problem doing the same with your new 130PDS .

Weight should be ok as well, however as the mount + tripod aren't the most rigid and this OTA is at the upper end of its capabilities, you will experience some shake. The excellent dual-speed focuser on the PDS will help with this, as will the motor focuser once you have fitted it.

I have the Skywatcher 'Auto' focuser fitted to a 150PDS with the same Crayford focuser, so it does fit - although I can't  vouch for whether you've got the necessary metal bracket and screws - you'll have to check when you get it.

And finally, IMHO the 130PDS is more than comparable with the 130P for visual use, but you will definitely need an extension tube when using eyepieces. Hopefully it will come with it.

Hope this helps,

Ady

Fantastic, thank you so much for this advice. I've already made the commitment, am picking it up Sunday morning. 

Everything you say chimes exactly with what I've come to understand, that the mount is the weak link but it should do for the basic stuff I want to achieve, until I decide to upgrade that. The DSLR and OTA are good, solid performers and won't need changing. I've got a sandbag holder to hang from the tripod legs to help with stability, but I totally understand the AZ GOTO mount is only just about up to the job.

Great to know the auto focuser works, I've kept the spare bracket that came with it just in case. If it doesn't fit, I'll just use the manual focuser on the PDS which I understand is much better than the 130P, until I find time to get a bracket that works. Hopefully it'll just be a case of swapping from one to t'other.

I've got a slightly extended eyepiece as a result of a previous purchase so hopefully that will mitigate the viewing. If not, and the extension isn't included, I'll be back here asking another bazillion questions about that!