Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ngc1499 california nebula SHO

adamphillips

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

Really nice images Adam, rich colours without in my view over doing it.

Alan

yes ive been trying to scale back the intensity of my processing, I do like to pull out faint structures but I used to overdue the brightness of the colors. its a delicate balance. I always see other images that seem to look more natural, processing skills take years to evolve.

• Like 1

2106101865_californianebulangc1499WM.thumb.jpg.5d0d5fd9f5849b7ed60f8e906c1a6b75.jpgHere is the old version. I also used to shy away from the reddish hues in the yellow. I liked yellow better.

one big difference is I used to go crazy with noise reduction giving a way too smooth look, you can only really tell if you zoom way in. but a trick I learned is color noise reduction. you can crank that all the way up in camera raw with PS, and it really smooths out problem areas. I think it bring down saturation just a hair too but it works wonders.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, adamphillips said:

2106101865_californianebulangc1499WM.thumb.jpg.5d0d5fd9f5849b7ed60f8e906c1a6b75.jpgHere is the old version. I also used to shy away from the reddish hues in the yellow. I liked yellow better.

one big difference is I used to go crazy with noise reduction giving a way too smooth look, you can only really tell if you zoom way in. but a trick I learned is color noise reduction. you can crank that all the way up in camera raw with PS, and it really smooths out problem areas. I think it bring down saturation just a hair too but it works wonders.

I use select colour etc and mask then the Camera Raw filter I believe you do, great tool and so much can be done with it. Know what you mean about the fight to over do the colour though. Even whilst it is always in my mind not to over saturate the end product often is, great work though!!

Alan

I think it looks great.  I love the blue clouds below Mount Crumpet (That's what I call it anyway)--like mists in a Chinese vertical lithography painting..  I think if you notch down the green a bit (a wee bit) the nebula would pop

Rodd