Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars

The Ultima DX 10x50 look and sound very nice for £94. Or the DX 8x56 sound even better but cost £117.

I just have the usual Meade 10x50 from Lidl. Cost £14.99 in 2004 and they are still spot on 4 years later.

Someone else may have better suggestion.

Yep, Bresser/Meade 10x50's at Lidl now are excellent value. You think they'd be rubbish for the price, but they are fantastic!

Grab a pair now and then use the extra from your budget for a copy of 'Turn Left at Orion!'

I suppose i had better put in a Caution with the Lidl/Bresser 10x50.

There's another thread or two running about them and as pointed out on those threads you need to check the binoculars in store to make sure you are getting a good pair. There appears to be some QC issues, although i have bought 7 (i buy them as Christmas presents) pairs since 2004 and never had a duffer.

I just picked up a pair this morning. Obviously I've not had a chance to look at the night sky yet but even in daylight, the brightness and clarity is infinitely superior to my old cheapie 8x40s and also to a pair of Miranda 10x50s a buddy lent me last week. Compared to the Mirandas, they're very light as well - about .85kg as opposed to 1.1kg. Very chuffed and itching for a clear night. Has to be the best £12.70 I've spent in a long while.

Archived