Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC-7538

Rodd

I was finally able to collect the SII for this little nebula.  TOA 130 and ASI 1600 with Astrodon 3nm filters.  

Ha: 66 300 sec

OIII: 36 300 sec

SII: 66 300 sec

The limited OIII presented some issues while processing.  For a small nebula, this image sure put me through an ordeal.  I have included  a bicolor version (HOO with a HaOII luminance) , a HaSHO (with a Ha luminance.), and a blend  I binned 2x2 in software becuse I had to crop a substantial amount becuase I had rotated my camera to get another target.  This resulted in overly close in images.  Seeing was pretty good and I really did not need to bin the full sized imades.  Fortunately theis nebula is small and I was able to retain enough of the central FOV to make a viable image. I think I like the blend--though the palette of the bicolor is nice.

HaSHO

HaSHO-4d3scnr.thumb.jpg.fb68f2194974f061ba6488649b0fe3c2.jpg

Bicolor (HaOIII)HOO

Bicolor-2x2d.thumb.jpg.2b625503907e3989ed1a9a32cbf8acbf.jpg

Blend

174020956_HaSho-final32x2.thumb.jpg.4ae8a4007de9f82026bee545e7ba47d1.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 11

8 minutes ago, tomato said:

They are all fine images, with exquisite detail. It could be called “the Chinese Dragon Nebula” which is what is conjured up in my mind’s eye looking into the swirls of dust. Great job.

Thanks Tomato.....Yes...I see the dragon now being swirled about the street during the Chinese new year parade.  I couldnt put my finger on an apt description until you mentioned it

Rodd

Amazing images indeed, and you found an object that I bet very few of us have seen before, certainly not me. Congratulations to a very good capture and excellent processing Rodd!

Olly @ollypenrice: is this one in the expensive book set you just talked me into ordering?

1 minute ago, gorann said:

Amazing images indeed, and you found an object that I bet very few of us have seen before, certainly not me. Congratulations to a very good capture and excellent processing Rodd!

Olly @ollypenrice: is this one in the expensive book set you just talked me into ordering?

Thanks Goran.  But I am quite certain that all of you have seen this numerous times in images of the Bubble, Claw, M52 region.

Rodd

10 hours ago, gorann said:

But of course it is! :icon_mrgreen: It even merits a black and white picture taken on hypered 2145. Apparently it can be seen in direct vision in scopes of 12 to 14 inches so we can take a look at it while we're imaging...

Olly

I prefer the narrowband image and yes I have imaged it before with the Lobster Bubble combo, but didn;t attempt to get a decent image of this target:

https://www.astrobin.com/319827/E/?image_list_page=2&nc=&nce=

Looks more like a Sheeps head to me:

(couldn't find a picture of one with the exact angled head, but hopefully you can see what I mean). 

spacer.png

Edited by carastro

1 hour ago, carastro said:

I prefer the narrowband image and yes I have imaged it before with the Lobster Bubble combo, but didn;t attempt to get a decent image of this target:

https://www.astrobin.com/319827/E/?image_list_page=2&nc=&nce=

Looks more like a Sheeps head to me:

(couldn't find a picture of one with the exact angled head, but hopefully you can see what I mean). 

Yes, it is obvious when you say it, it is a sheep's head!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carastro said:

I prefer the narrowband image

I too....Broadband images of this target I have seen were nothing like I expected.  i expected it to be red--kind of like my bicolor--like most nebulae.  But it was not--more of a tepid pinkish gray.  Nice image BTW, carole.  I at times struggle to achieve that golden, orange SII palette that you have portrayed nicely. 

Rodd

• Like 1