Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eastern Veil Nebula

This is from Monday night. Nice clear night (which doesn't normally coincide with no moon but it did for once).

Esprit 100ED,  ASI1600MM Pro, Ha 400S x 13, OIII 400S x 11, SII 400S x 11.

I think I managed some reasonable quality data this time but my processing is still very much work in progress. I am getting to grips with PI but still a way to go. I think I may have done the initial stretches too much before combining. I will try again later. One thing I really am struggling with is the actual colours. I have done a couple of NB images and comparing to other images I look at the Reds always very purple and the blues very green.  The processing is only using PI as so far I cannot use Photoshop as yet, something else I need to get on with. 

Any advice, or ,  will be welcomed 🙂 

Image16.thumb.jpg.089f60c70337c3eaf9ad832d91452e7e.jpg

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 5

How did you combine the channels? Which filter to which channel? Its false colour anyhow so process it to how you like it.

If you do an initial stretch to your masters and save as a jpeg to a certain size you can upload them to this link below and it will give you a snap shot of all the different palette combinations!

https://www.bintel.com.au/narrowband-preview-tool/?v=4442e4af0916

Courtesy of Dylan O'Donnell, Starstuff on YouTube.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

How did you combine the channels? Which filter to which channel? Its false colour anyhow so process it to how you like it.

Hi,

I actually tried all combinations. I am pretty sure this is my original using the Hubble Palette (SII to R, Ha to G and OIII to B).

I read that to get the hues that we are used to seeing in the Hubble Palette then some tweaking with PS is required which I am now using. 

And as the colour is false then I guess it is really down to the individual and often I think the Ha in mono often looks just as good.

Thanks for the link to that tool I will give it a go.

Steve

16 minutes ago, MartinB said:

You have some very nice detail but I don't think you have mapped the colours as intended, the OIII appears to have been assigned to the green channel with Ha going to red and blue??

Hi,

I am not 100% sure what this was mapped as but it definitely had Ha, OIII and SII going to different channels. But yes I would agree it does look like that.

I originally tried the Hubble Palette (SII to R, Ha to G and OIII to  which still did not look quite right so I tried other combinations (but always mappin all 3 filters to different channels) but whatever I did I never seemed to obtain any blue, the green always there somewhere and the red was always very purple.

Now I do have the Ultra NB Baaders for Ha and OIII but only the normal NB Baader for SII so whether that is causing an issue I am not sure.

I know (or I think I know ???) that to imitate the Hubble Palette properly it is normal to have to go in with PS and tweak the hues of the colours but I would expect to see some form of blue there to begin with.

I will keep trying, nobody on SGL told me this was easy, but I will get there one day 🙂 

Steve

A feature of this nebula is the discrete separation between Ha and OIII, there a are only of few wisps of discernible SII.  Most hubble palate images work by greatly stretching the SII and OIII channels compared with the Ha.  This all but eliminates the Ha green which is turned into a golden/brown colour (although I like to see some green in the Ha heavy regions).  This technique doesn't work well on an target like this.  What you would normally expect to see is the inner curve to be green and the outer blue.  I prefer bicolour renditions of the Veil which map Ha to red and OIII to blue and green and not bother with an SII channel but it is entirely personal preference.  What your image shows very nicely is this separation between the Ha and OIII

• Thanks 1

Thanks Martin, 

I will give it another go with the Bicolour. I thought of this but had not yet read up how to do a bicolour with 3 channels but that is a great tip 🙂 

Also I have so much to learn about which Nebula work best with which filters, my understanding is that not all nebula work well with NB and some require the RGB filters maybe combined with Ha.  I think without this forum I would be really struggling.

Steve 

1 minute ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Thanks Martin, 

I will give it another go with the Bicolour. I thought of this but had not yet read up how to do a bicolour with 3 channels but that is a great tip 🙂 

Also I have so much to learn about which Nebula work best with which filters, my understanding is that not all nebula work well with NB and some require the RGB filters maybe combined with Ha.  I think without this forum I would be really struggling.

Steve 

Some targets are pure Ha and these work very nicely with Ha RGB because you can get lovely star colours.  Sometimes people add RGB to hubble palate for star colour but, personally, I find the results often look a bit weird!

• Thanks 1