Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tele Vue Gibraltar with Sky Tour Computer - Any good?

bond19

I’m considering purchasing a secondhand Tele Vue Gibraltar with Sky Tour Computer (around £650). I know others have used the Gibraltar but didn’t get on with it. I will mainly be using it for low power deep sky. Should I take a punt at this price or am I best steering clear? It’s going to mount a TV 102. 

I had one for a while (not with the Sky Tour). It worked well enough with my Vixen 102mm F/6.5 refractor but was not really stable enough when I tried a longer tubed scope on it (100mm F/9). It's a lovely looking mount but has it's limitations as tube length grows. Not sure if the TV 102 (F/8 ?) will be entirely stable when used at higher magnifications :icon_scratch:

• Like 1

I've been looking at going back to a TV mount. Would the one you're looking at be from Steve at ENS? The prices new are a little eye watering for what you get. The new ones now come with a beautiful Berlbach tripod. Nice engineering those mounts and not too heavy either.

Glen.

On 30/10/2019 at 10:57, GlenM said:

I've been looking at going back to a TV mount. Would the one you're looking at be from Steve at ENS? The prices new are a little eye watering for what you get. The new ones now come with a beautiful Berlbach tripod. Nice engineering those mounts and not too heavy either.

Glen.

Yes, that’s the one Glen. Do you have any previous experience using these mounts?

I have had one many years ago and found it excellent. Reaching your zenith can be difficult that's all. Very much a KISS theory mount. I have just ordered the Telepod mount from FLO. I have a Berlebach 312 FAE tripod so I didn't need the Panoramic set up. Not many people stock the Televue mounts and accessories and Martin at FLO was very helpful. I may even go on to fit the encoders although they are only 2000 tic encoders if Televue are still producing them. Things have certainly moved on with Digital Setting Circles.

Glen.

Yes, it's the HD5. I know it's not what the OP is interested in but thought I'd post to give some idea. Anyway,  I have a 4 inch F7.4 on it so not a long tube by any means. Find it very sturdy and the whole thing can be lifted in and out of the house quite easily. I never had the previous TV mount but, from what I have read, this seems to be an upgrade in all departments. Berlebach tripod, Televue mount and a Tak sitting on top. I was going to say a marriage made in heaven but there's one too many in this partnership!

• Thanks 1