Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR and CCD advice

recceranger

Had a bit of a pause on astrophotography and now getting back in the game. I currently have a SW ED80 and am interested in both a DSLR for widefield and dedicated planetary camera. Any advice much appreciated. Oh! and I will be getting an SCT 8 - 9.25" or SW 180 MAK!ย ๐Ÿ˜€

Edited by recceranger
Spelling mistake

My only take on what you've said is an SCT would be f10 and a Mak f15. These are narrow field of view instruments and usually planetary scopes so that would fit your planetary imaging needs, that said a reducer would give a wider field of view but nothing that would be considered widefield. A focal/field flatter for your ed80 would give a wider field. I'd also go for a modded dslr.ย 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Added more content

Hi Carol, I would like to get back into AP when I return to UK next week and have been looking at DSLRs to use for WF. But I would also like to grab a dedicated imaging camera for planets/lunar. However, there seems to be a bewildering array out there, so I was hoping for some guidence. My budget cant go much above 1K for both as I would also like to purchase an SCT from a seperate fund.

Rick

Thanks Olly,

I have just purchased the Nikon D7500 and Samyang 14mm F2.8 Lens. This is because I will be using the DSLR for nightscape AP. It's secondary function will be AP with the ED80. I,m after some advice on a dedicated camera for planetary imaging.

Rick