Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eqdir cable

Atreta

Hi everyone,  i need a little help from you. 

The rj11 to rs232 cable that came with my mount has lost somehow its rj11 end and i can't find any new one with 6 pins in my city. I was reading a few sites and also in here about diy eqdir cable.  

Is there a way to use that cable with the rs232 to usb adapter and make it work with a rj45 plug so it can be used without the synscan controller?  I posted a picture o the broken cable. 

Thank you. 

Edit:  could an admin move this topic to the diy forum? I created here by mistake. 

IMG_20191019_132800855.thumb.jpg.61eff5b18fc761d505fb0d592d9c03a2.jpg

Edited by Atreta

Wow cowboy - RS232 is not the same as TTL and you say you want to use your mount WITHOUT the synscan controller - do you mean without the handset ?

Most mounts are TTL levels (3.3v or 5v) RS232 is +12v so be careful.

If your want to connect PC directly to your mount (which is ? i) then you are using TTL levels (3.3v or 5v) and you can use the Lynx device from FLO £34 plus delivery.

If you can use a soldering iron then one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-TTL-Serial-Cable-FTDI-Genuine-chipset-3-3V-Black/292513285005?epid=1342449592&hash=item441b26838d:g:110AAOxy63FSrs93&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shpCntId  prices shown is £12 + £3 del to Brazil - note if your mount uses 5v then same site have 5v version. Then  just solder together 3 wires (need to check on EQDIR site for mount wiring details) - thats tx,rx,ground to your existing DB9 cable (which I assume is the mount end in your case). Just double/triple check you are using the correct wire. If it works (and it should) you can then use some heat shrink to cover the joins (which you cut and installed ready for the heat before soldering LOL).

Note the above cable is a real FDTI cable not a "clone" hence the extra price but still cheaper than Lynx set up (you could buy a spare 🙂  and still be cheaper).

If you want a cheaper version then CH340G chip set are ok but you can have problems when using more than 1 at a time !

Lots of people on SGL and Cloudynights etc  have done it with no problems!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stash_old said:

Wow cowboy - RS232 is not the same as TTL and you say you want to use your mount WITHOUT the synscan controller - do you mean without the handset ?

Most mounts are TTL levels (3.3v or 5v) RS232 is +12v so be careful.

If your want to connect PC directly to your mount (which is ? i) then you are using TTL levels (3.3v or 5v) and you can use the Lynx device from FLO £34 plus delivery.

If you can use a soldering iron then one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-TTL-Serial-Cable-FTDI-Genuine-chipset-3-3V-Black/292513285005?epid=1342449592&hash=item441b26838d:g:110AAOxy63FSrs93&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shpCntId  prices shown is £12 + £3 del to Brazil - note if your mount uses 5v then same site have 5v version. Then  just solder together 3 wires (need to check on EQDIR site for mount wiring details) - thats tx,rx,ground to your existing DB9 cable (which I assume is the mount end in your case). Just double/triple check you are using the correct wire. If it works (and it should) you can then use some heat shrink to cover the joins (which you cut and installed ready for the heat before soldering LOL).

Note the above cable is a real FDTI cable not a "clone" hence the extra price but still cheaper than Lynx set up (you could buy a spare 🙂  and still be cheaper).

If you want a cheaper version then CH340G chip set are ok but you can have problems when using more than 1 at a time !

Lots of people on SGL and Cloudynights etc  have done it with no problems!

Thanks for the advice,. My mount is a heq5 pro. The cable you linked is not that expensive indeed. But i think I'll just order the 6 pin rj11(rj12?) from an online store and fix that cable. 

• Like 1