Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which mount? And why?

25 minutes ago, northwalesparry said:

Looking into getting a new mount . Which one on these would you choose and why?

Skywatcher heq5 pro goto. Or 

Celestron VX go to mount.

Both are around the same price.

Two questions.....

What are you going to put on the mount in terms of scope and what do you want to do with it? Astro photography or visual?

I owned a HEQ pro for quite a while and its a very good mount. The only issue I have with the HEQ 5 and  6-r is the altitude adjustment method.  Its a very popular mount and there is lots of support for it on the net and upgrades are available but I guess you have looked into this already. It also holds its resale value well

I would put the HEQ mount firmly into the zero risk category

If your considering the avx then look at meade lxd85 mount. Its same class.

I have seen soo many avxs for sale least 1 per month or more. To me that's makes me feel like it's not good enough or robust that many sell it.

I have also read many issues on them to on forms.

That y I decided meade lxd85 mount. Only thing I dont like is it doesnt come with any way to power it ac or DC or battery. It comes with nothing u either have to figure it out or buy meade ac power wall pack or the cigarette power adptor.

The ac wall power pl is $107 with tax and shipping. It's really stupid it doesnt come included with something.

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Two questions.....

What are you going to put on the mount in terms of scope and what do you want to do with it? Astro photography or visual?

I was looking at celestron c9.25 SCT.

Reason for my question is that the skywatcher looks to be a better mount .

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Two questions.....

I've owned an AVX and an HEQ5 and I think the C9.25 would be more comfortable on the HEQ5. The AVX would carry it but it would be somewhat closer to it's limits. I didn't have any issues with my AVX but I have read about plenty of frustrating stuff from other owners. The HEQ5 is a well proven mount. Not perfect but it's quirks are well known and there is plenty of info out there on how to deal with them.