Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Filters Mercury Transit Nov.

As we know there is a Mercury transit on Nov 11th. I don't do any solar observing since I sold my WO 80FD some years ago. I have still my old badder solar filter that I made for it which I did not pass on given the danger associated with solar filters and the principal that we are each responsible for our own safety. 

So I am now in the market for a new one for a Tak FC100. I know many of you here are keen solar observers. (a good year!) and would like to seek some recommendations for something suited to both visual and photographic. But ideally robust enough to last and be good enough to get the best from my refractor.

Big question I know but timely no doubt.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin.

Edited by StarryEyed

I would go for a Baader CoolWedge myself. I use exact the same combo ie with an FC100 and the results are fantastic, particular when seeing is excellent.

I believe the CoolWedge comes in two flavours, and the photographic one has two additional ND filters allowing you to operate at higher brightness for imaging. Both come with suitable ND filter for observing plus a Continuum filter which enhances the views nicely too.

I generally binoview with my setup as it helps with floaters at high power and is also more relaxing. It is quite possible to get up to x200 or more in good conditions to open up the granulation cells.

Stu.

Thanks for the reply. I might just pick up an Astrozap Badder Solar film from FLO given my previous good experience with Badder film and it being supplied with an aluminium mounting. It took a bit of time to make one last time around. Seems like a bargin! For the transit this is going to be ideal. I have what I need to mount my DSLR to my refractor stright through so it seems with the Astrozap I would be all set.

Looking around a Badder coolwedge would be ideal but it might wait until the new year as it's a bit of a commitment with respect to the price. The Astrozap would be an ideal to getting back to solar.

Regards Kevin.

The Astrozap or Kendrick premade filters with the Baader film are fine. 

A wedge is preferable but as you mention more ££££££. You should also consider the Lacerta wedge. Just as good as the Baader wedge and a bit cheaper.. I’ve owned both and couldn’t tell any difference. 

Edited by johninderby

• 2 weeks later...

I’d agree - a 1.25” Lacerta wedge would last you forever, and they’re relatively cheap compared with the excellent though pricey Baader. Should hopefully be a few more sunspots appearing within the next 18 months, which will really make  the investment worthwhile