NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera Rotator

Pscammp

Hello all,

I'm hoping to get a little help and advice here if anyone can help !

I have a 10" Newtonian which I modified by attaching a CR2 2inch Moonlite Focuser to it. It has the Hi Res stepper motor on it and the Mini V2 controller which is hooked up

to my PC via ASCOM and I use Sequence Generator Pro for image capture and auto focusing. My camera is a QHY8L for the sake of full clarity and I have to drag it all outside

every time I want to do some imaging. 

In the medium future (due to a house move) I am planning an Observatory build in my new back garden/yard which will be positioned probably about 60 feet from the house.

Everything works great at the moment for a 'Mobile' setup just outside our current conservatory on the patio but when this Observatory build goes ahead in the future I can see

a very large problem developing due to the proximity of the Obs.

Currently, I use auto focus which is great but if I use SGP's framing and mosaic tool to frame an image and need to rotate the camera I just pop outside the conservatory to manually

rotate the camera in the focuser (guessing) based on how much SGP tells me to and in which direction. Sometimes I get it within the allowed tolerance and other times I have to pop

out 3 or 4 times to get it right. This is not so much of a problem NOW but imagine having to run 60 feet each time.......

Not Good   🤪

So, somehow I need to come up with a way of having Motor Rotation as well as motor focusing ! ! ! !

I have looked at the Moonlite focusers website but only see a rotator option for refractors and SCT's

Is it possible to somehow convert my CR2 to also rotate the camera also on my Newt  ?.....Has anyone done this already ? .....Any video's anywhere cos I cant find any  ? 

Any Help would be gratefully appreciated

Many Regards

Paul  

Edited by Pscammp

Do you actually need to rotate the focuser, when what you want to do, can be done in post processing, i.e. rotate the image ?  

I've considered fitting a rotator to my ED80, Auduino\Stepper motor based, but I wouldn't fit one to a Newt, as you'd be rotating the whole tube assembly ??, throwing out all the balancing etc....  

My planning workflow includes "armchair framing" using Stellarium. I can see exactly what will fit on the sensor and how many degees of rotation I need, and usually I do the rotation in advance.  The scale is a picture I found with Google, then edited it in PS and printed on paper. I had to experiment a bit to make the scale ends meet nicely.

Ragnar

2.jpg.6fab61788a2591633f7fa56a928f744f.jpg

• 1 month later...

I really wish somebody - Pegasus/ZWO etc would produce a decent priced camera rotator, is the last thing to have automated, although Im not sure it would not end up being a pain if you use an OAG, imagine having to recalibrate after every rotation