Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dirty Mark or Reflection?

Mikey0368

I have a relatively new SW Esprit 100ED and I'm getting a mark on my images. I've checked the camera (it's a DSLR) and flattener and can't see anything obvious, but the lenses in the telescope do look a little dirty. 

Rather than a smudge somewhere, could it just be reflection? It's pretty much a perfect circle and I wouldn't expect a dirty mark to be so circular.

Here's a screenshot taken during processing as it sticks out like a sore thumb at this point. Once processed it's much less obvious but still there.

Anyone experienced something like this?

Thanks.

6992 3.jpg

I have something pretty similar on my images:  

809193602_dustbunny.jpg.79b75ee08fb688225c983784ed3fb4a1.jpg

Putting the figures for mine (49 pixels diameter, F 4.9 scope) into the Dust Donut Calculator here https://www.ccdware.com/resources/dust.cfm

suggests that it is 1.08 mm from the sensor, which, I think, means it is resting on the Baader filter .

Quick way to check if it's the camera or the scope would be to take an image and then rotate the camera through 90° and take a second one.  If the mark is in the same place on the image, it's the camera.

It should be possible to calibrate out with flats.